• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Treasure Hunting - Metal Detectors

My wife gave me a bounty hunter. I spent many, many hours and dug tons of trash. I finally got decent at finding clad pennies...found two silver dimes and maybe a couple of wheat pennies. I hit parks, schools, farms, you name it. This was over years with it. It's good for digging ferrous metal, that's about it. Go another step up like the Ace that was recommended.

I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I bought from one of the ODY guys. It works well, you just have to get used to the tones and tune in the area you are going to use it. KellyCo gives it a pretty good rating.

That's not even a good entry level detector. I had an Ace250 when I thought I wanted to do some metal detecting, I actually sold it on here. I think they are a little over $200, but you get far more out of it than the cheaper ones.

It's like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you buy the cheap one, after a couple trips you will but the expensive one.

I will say this, it's a lot more work than it looks.

I could not say it better myself.
"Much harder than you-tube makes it look" Finding Good Coins Relics etc.
It would help to live in the NE USA or Virginia.

The ACE 250 is a good starter machine IMO, & way easier to sell than the "Cheap " BH Model ur talking about.
GL
Davers

Nothing in particular. I'm on the road for work sometimes. I thought this would be a great way to take a stretch-break. It would also give me something to do when I'm stuck in some small town overnight. I've been looking at this unit. too. American made and a lifetime warranty. They're around $165.00 at most places.

IMO this is a decent unit but it has no ID screen ( Def would have to learn the tones)
I have a Higher $ Tesoro The Warranty is Great (Only for the Original Buyer).
The one I have has no screen but I mostly use it in certain areas.
A screen Will make detecting 100% easier for someone new to detecting, as would a Pinpointer but that's later & I would not go to cheap on that either , ...The main unit is most important now. + If your gonna have it in your auto/truck all the time a cheaper machine is easier to loose if Stolen . I wonder if the Warranty covers Theft?
I'd call tesoro & ask before buying , They are Cool People there in my experience.
Again Good Luck
http://www.tesoro.com/product/detectors/compadre/

www.tesoro.com_product_detectors_compadre_images_comleftsm.gif

What kind of places are you going to check out? Do you know any old home sites? Do you ever look at http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/georgia/ I have an old Spectrum XLT if you want to check an area out sometime. I'm still trying to figure out all of the options...I've buried coins/ring/metal in the backyard before just to see what the screen reports back. Let us know what you get and what you find.

Great reply's yr getting IMO
I'm a T-net Guy & there is an answer there for almost any detecting ? I can think of, esp, in the GA Forum.

Back
Top Bottom