• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Treasure Hunting - Metal Detectors

Don231s

Default rank 5000+ posts
I heard it on the X
55   0
Reaction score
I've been looking at metal detectors over the past couple of weeks. The Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is on sale this week at Academy for $79.99. Amazon and other online seller's regular price is about that. I don't want to spend a lot, but I want something at least one step above entry level. This unit looks like it fits that requirement. I'll probably wait and see what Black Friday/Monday does.

Any ODTers into the whole treasure hunting, metal detector hobby? Ideas? Cynical remarks? Advice?

That's not even a good entry level detector. I had an Ace250 when I thought I wanted to do some metal detecting, I actually sold it on here. I think they are a little over $200, but you get far more out of it than the cheaper ones.

It's like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you buy the cheap one, after a couple trips you will but the expensive one.

I will say this, it's a lot more work than it looks.

What kind of places are you going to check out? Do you know any old home sites? Do you ever look at http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/georgia/ I have an old Spectrum XLT if you want to check an area out sometime. I'm still trying to figure out all of the options...I've buried coins/ring/metal in the backyard before just to see what the screen reports back. Let us know what you get and what you find.

Swing on over to KellyCo. They have some good refurbished units and you can compare different ones with pretty detailed info on them. Plus you get some good swag when you buy from them.

The Garrett's are good all around machines. I moved up to the ATpro last year and really enjoy that one. A bit higher than an entry machine.

Every machine takes some practice though. Most guys will tell you 20 hours is the minimum before you really get an idea of what the machine is telling you.

But it's a fun hobby for sure. Was thinking of hunting tomorrow after work for a couple of hours.

I bought a used white's top end model. I used it out in Arizona. It's amazing how much metal trash you can dig up with one of these. I was looking for gold.

I saw many different units from many manufacturers. What are you looking to find?

As a gold seeking unit the model I had used audio to indicate metal. I never found gold so I can't say I could differentiate between the sound of trash or treasure.

I saw one unit that would with a digital display give an indication of what type of metal you are near. When you do get a hit it's amazing how difficult it can be to figure out which chunk of dirt is metal, especially if your unit has a large detection head. A smaller hand held unit when you are digging to China, will help keep your hole from getting too big.

What are you looking to find?
Nothing in particular. I'm on the road for work sometimes. I thought this would be a great way to take a stretch-break. It would also give me something to do when I'm stuck in some small town overnight. I've been looking at this unit. too. American made and a lifetime warranty. They're around $165.00 at most places.

http://www.tesoro.com/product/detectors/compadre/

www.tesoro.com_product_detectors_compadre_images_comleftsm.gif

Back
Top Bottom