• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trail Cam Review: Covert MP6 v. MP6-Black

the_great_white

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
122   0
Reaction score
Ok, so I've had some time to test both of these cameras in the same location from the same spot so that I would be able to give you an apples to apples comparison. I was never able to find any reviews after lots of searching that did. I wanted a good number of pictures so that I would be able to and I think 7,000+ pictures is a good sample quantity.

First off, I think either of these cameras is a good choice and which ever of the two you choose, you will be happy. The detection is awesome as i have been able to capture pictures of deer moving through thick brush out to 15+ yards that most other cameras would have never detected. The detection circuit and triggers on these are great. Both feature an internal Color LCD viewer, and a pass through for a cable lock.

The battery life seems to be incredible. About 7,000 pictures and the battery life is still 100%. They claim up to a year on a set of lithium batteries and from what I am seeing and so far, I believe it. These cameras run on 8-AA batteries. As for the batteries, the best price I have found on the Energizer Lithium batteries has been Home Depot.

After 7,000+ pictures, I have not had any photos of deer that seem to react to the cameras with or without the black out.

Photo quality: Sporting an 3/5/8MP camera, the photo quality has been great! I have mine running on the 8MP setting and 3,500 pictures are coming in at just under 4GB. There is no noticeable difference in the quality of the day time photos. Here is a side by side comparison of the day time pictures. The regular MP6 is the first photo, and the MP6-Black is the second photo.

Here is where we start to find the differences, night time pictures, I wasn't sure how the night pictures would be on these. The MP6 takes decent night time photos and I had some doubt about the MP6-Black since it has the black out lens over the IR LED's. I was shocked!! It takes much better night pictures, although a little grainy, much more light. The MP6 has 28 IR-LEDs and the MP6 has 40 IR-LEDs which I was thinking with the black out lens would make them about equal. I was wrong. Again, the regular MP6 is the first photo, and the MP6-Black is the second photo.

They both have video and time-lapse mode, but I haven't used those features yet. I have been running the 3 photo burst.

Price: The MP6 is around the $140-ish +/- mark and the MP6-Black is around the $150-ish +/- mark. After running both of these cameras, I would spend the extra $$ and upgrade to the MP6-Black for the night time photo quality.

MP6:
IMAG2037.jpg
MP6-Black:
IMAG1810.jpg
MP6:
IMAG1797.jpg
MP6-Black:
IMAG0415.jpg

Last edited:
update:

both cameras have had 6 months in the field and passed the 10,000 photo mark and still have 100% battery life with the Energizer Ultimate Lithium Ion batteries.

No problems to report and both cameras are still operating as the day they were new.

Back
Top Bottom