• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tractor transmission,need help on deciding which type

airx22

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide between Kubota or Branson tractors and I guess its gonna come down to where I get the most bang for buck. A place in Centre Ala has a nice set up.
That being said from what I can tell I have 2 types of transmissions to choose from Hydo or shuttle.
The hydo is gonna be a little more $$. If anyone can shed some light I'd appreciate it.

Probably gonna do more cutting than anything. Maybe plow a garden once or twice a year. Scrape the driveway from time to time. But 85% will be cutting.
Just can't decide which transmission.

Love my hydrostatic on my 38 hp Kubota, especially when needing to focus on controlling the bucket on hilly terain. Also, I don't have to use my brakes as often, as releasing the forward/reverse pivot pedal slows the tractor.

Personally, never operated a shuttle shift, but think it would be similar to the hydro. I have an older tractor with gear shift, which I prefer for PTO work, like bush hogging as it stops the PTO when you stop the tractor with the clutch depressed. For my hydro Kubota, I can release the forward/reverse pedal to neutral but that doesn't stop the PTO until I depress the clutch or disengage the PTO. With the hydro when doing loader work, I set the RPM at the desired engine speed needed for the job, then control tractor speed by the amount of pedal push, again letting me focus on loader controls.

Shuttle shift = power. I have 2 tractors (deere and a Ls) both are shuttle. My neighbor has a hydro kubota, and I have bailed him out a number of times. Kubota is a rock solid machine but hydro is really meant for light work. If all your doing cutting and minor garden work, hydro is fine. If your wanting to haul, pull stumps, deep plowing, etc... Get the shuttle. Also, I cannot stress how much I like my cab. Pollen, yellow jackets, dust, etc... Is no match for my cab with ac in the summer and heat in the winter.

Do not by a Branson Tractor!
I have had both shuttle and hydro in Kubotas. I prefer the Hydro, but a Shuttle shift is fine too. Loader work is made easier by the hydro.

Back
Top Bottom