• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tourniquets?

Figured I'd put in my two cents. The Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT) is the gold standard for all dedicated tourniquets across all branches of the military and law enforcement. Very few, but some, prefer the SOFTT-Wide, which has a metal windlass which OP believes to be superior. I personally prefer the CAT, as do most military and civilian medics, due to it being simpler and more widely-used (non-medics are familiar with it and therefore are better at applying it). The current generation of the CAT (Gen 7) has a grey windlass securing strap while previous generations have a white strap. The Gen 7 has a much more robust windlass than previous generations; however, I have used previous generations of the CAT with no issues whatsoever. There are a number of knock-offs available so I would suggest that you only purchase from reputable dealers (NAR, Chinook Medical, etc.).

Why you should listen to me: retired (as of November 2021) SOF medic x 10 years.

As mentioned above, don’t TQ on Amazon. Simply find a TCCC approved model. https://wms.org/magazine/1245/tourniquet

The RevMedX TX2 and TX3 are pretty solid and (subjectively) easier to apply than the cat.

Anyone ever used some of the newer gen Tactical Ratcheting Tourniquets? I met up with a buddy of mine who is a PJ (pararescue USAF) and he had a bunch of them and swore by them. They are very compact and seem to be about fool proof once you have done some training on them.
I also use my older style S&S TQ on my range bag and med bag. I prefer the metal windless as well and I don’t have to worry about the plastic breaking down over time due to exposure to the elements

Tactical Ratcheting Medical Tourniquet (RMT)​

Product No. #05182

Not Chi-Com "training" shyte, real tourniquets (CAT) for my trauma kits at the gun club.

Recon Medical seems to be out or not handling them anymore. I ordered a couple on Amazon and received garbage.

I need real CATs with aluminum windlasses, not plastic straws.

Any input?

I’ll see if we have a few extra CAT7s at work.

Back
Top Bottom