• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Today is a good example of why you have to be very careful in the market

So where do i invest on the oil? Thats the question

Futures contracts are extremely risky, as seen by today's activity. So skip that altogether.

The "safest" (with a moon sized asterisk) bet is probably an energy ETF that's already received a good beatdown. But, man, it just ain't a safe bet right now.

There Will Be Blood.

Futures contracts are extremely risky, as seen by today's activity. So skip that altogether.

The "safest" (with a moon sized asterisk) bet is probably an energy ETF that's already received a good beatdown. But, man, it just ain't a safe bet right now.

There Will Be Blood.

true futures are a craps table, well with worse odds
Energy is not for the faint of heart nowadays

Apple, google, amazon, netflix, Tesla and a host of today's era companies are just not gonna fold. They will be bigger and stronger because of COVID.

I dont get why people arent happy about oil at $12 a barrel? Why is this a BAD thing? It means RV's are gonna sell and families will enjoy traveling more.

As an economist, Im not sure you can convince me that companies folding shop is a bad thing. Niemann Marcus (Retail) was doomed regardless of COVID. COVID was just the nail in the coffin. Best Buys Im sure is on the chopping block.

Back in the 80's I watched all the mom and pop movie rental places fold up and I felt bad for them. When Blockbuster started to close it's doors in mid 2000's, I certainly didnt have a bleeding heart for them.

If I were young again, I would drop all my monies into Amazon, Apple or Tesla. You may not hit the jackpot but you wont win what you dont slide into the middle of the dealer's table.

I would be "ALL IN" in this market on sure bets like Amazon, Apple or Tesla.

Apple, google, amazon, netflix, Tesla and a host of today's era companies are just not gonna fold. They will be bigger and stronger because of COVID.

I don't think anybody is disputing that tech companies are more resistant to this downturn than more traditional companies. Tesla aside, the companies in IT related fields benefit from more use of their products and services in this economic mode.

I dont get why people arent happy about oil at $12 a barrel? Why is this a BAD thing? It means RV's are gonna sell and families will enjoy traveling more.

Because it's not sustainable. The only thing that comes from oil at $12 a barrel is an entire American industry on the scrap heap, and OPEC once again in charge of the world's oil supply.

As an economist, Im not sure you can convince me that companies folding shop is a bad thing. Niemann Marcus (Retail) was doomed regardless of COVID. COVID was just the nail in the coffin. Best Buys Im sure is on the chopping block.

Best Buy is actually a very strong performer.

Back in the 80's I watched all the mom and pop movie rental places fold up and I felt bad for them. When Blockbuster started to close it's doors in mid 2000's, I certainly didnt have a bleeding heart for them.

If I were young again, I would drop all my monies into Amazon, Apple or Tesla. You may not hit the jackpot but you wont win what you don't slide into the middle of the dealer's table.

I would be "ALL IN" in this market on sure bets like Amazon, Apple or Tesla.

If the downturn we experience deepens into a genuine depression, those companies will be on the bargain table, too. For folks with patient money, fine.

Nothing u replied is true.

1) tesla is a tech company
2) im not talking about resiliency. These are the companies of the future. COVID is just the nail in the coffin
3) we are far from depression

History is hindsight 20/20 but it doesn't alter the future.

There is no depression. Period. Before you get there, you have to have recession. Thats defined by 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Again. We are not there until September/october

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Nothing u replied is true.

You should read more accurately.

1) tesla is a tech company

Do you buy a Tesla for doing spreadsheets? Or for moving yourself from point A to point B? Get back to me when your Model X needs a new CPU before it needs new tires.

2) im not talking about resiliency. These are the companies of the future. COVID is just the nail in the coffin

Ok.

3) we are far from depression

We're a lot closer than we were six weeks ago.

History is hindsight 20/20 but it doesn't alter the future.

There is no depression. Period. Before you get there, you have to have recession. Thats defined by 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Again. We are not there until September/october

Won't know until we know. And then we'll know.

In your "nothing you replied is true" post, you didn't address the oil response I gave. You think $12/bbl oil is a good thing for the U.S. economy, long term?

You ranted earlier in the thread about bringing critical manufacturing back. You think energy production isn't critical? We've been in a mode before where our economy depended largely on oil from the middle east. All that does is get us into wars and inflation. Remember 18% mortgage rates and 24% car loans?

there is a good deal of relevancy in all of the above discussion. However, until the average denizen can come to grips with the fact that the purchasing power of the currency in circulation is being stolen from them every second of every day by creating currency and credit out of thin air, we are on the road to serfdom.

Like pouring water into fine whisky dilutes the quality and effectiveness of the whisky, creating currency and credit out of thin air, dilutes the purchasing power of the currency already in circulation, say in your pocket, your bank account, any paper investment denominated in fiat USD. Eventually there is more water than whiskey and of no value as real whisky.

there is a good deal of relevancy in all of the above discussion. However, until the average denizen can come to grips with the fact that the purchasing power of the currency in circulation is being stolen from them every second of every day by creating currency and credit out of thin air, we are on the road to serfdom.

Like pouring water into fine whisky dilutes the quality and effectiveness of the whisky, creating currency and credit out of thin air, dilutes the purchasing power of the currency already in circulation, say in your pocket, your bank account, any paper investment denominated in fiat USD. Eventually there is more water than whiskey and of no value as real whisky.

^^ This ^^
I fear we are on our way to unbridled inflation, and those of us on fixed incomes are in for a rough road.

Back
Top Bottom