• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Today is a good example of why you have to be very careful in the market

Yeah, I just have a decent 401k, I just need it for 2 more years than me and the Wife are good for life, she retired at 43 but her retirement does not kick in until 55. Still need to years.
My advice to you is...401k should not be measured by time rather than value. If you are close to the value that you need by your retirement age, sit back and re-evaluate...does going up $20k worth the risk of it dropping $100k? Given your retirement timeline...maybe the value today is good enough to pull half out and let it sit on the sidelines. In case there is a drop, you can jump in with the other 1/2 sitting on the sideline.

Again, 401k should be based on the value you need for retirement. Not time/age based.

For anyone wanting to “play” the stock market outside of a 401k, I got three words for you - risk adjusted returns. Otherwise, you’re playing a fool’s game. You may get lucky at times, but as 99% of retail investors eventually discover (myself included), luck is a terrible strategy!

Anyone who has even a single dime in the markets right now would do well to get the hell out of them ASAP! The stock market has been completely disconnected from the real economy and reality itself. The real economy is crashing and burning. We are undergoing a complete genocide of small businesses. Unemployment is not IS NOT IS NOT only 13%. Real unemployment is about 40% right now, and considering we are in a 70% consumer driven economy, it's pretty much all over. The real economy is crashing and burning, but the stock market is going sky-high despite this. The economic fundamentals mean absolutely nothing to investors right now. The current put to call ratios show that stock market investors are in a mania as insane as the 1920s. In terms of stock price to company profits, stocks right now are in a bubble as big as the dot com bubble of 2000. Real-estate is also in a bubble as massive as the housing bubble of '08. Really, because of central bank policies of easy-money over the past two decades, we are in an everything-bubble. The stock market is being propped up by the fed. If today's 1,800 point drop in the DOW wasn't an indicator for you to get out then nothing will be.

Do what the smartest person in the room is doing and you will usually be fine. Central banks and governments are buying as much gold as they possible can. Central banks and governments can't inflate gold.

Reactions: GFB
Today got interesting.

I made a couple grand. It’s all in how you react tot eh market and how in tune you can be. Covid plays are up while a lot of blue chips are down due to fear over a second round of Covid. Trading for income is a lot different than investing for retirement. You can make a lot more gambling stocks vs savings right now but if you’re not risk tolerant and trade on emotion you will lose big

I made a couple grand. It’s all in how you react tot eh market and how in tune you can be. Covid plays are up while a lot of blue chips are down due to fear over a second round of Covid. Trading for income is a lot different than investing for retirement. You can make a lot more gambling stocks vs savings right now but if you’re not risk tolerant and trade on emotion you will lose big
I am more interested in investing than day trading. I would be fine with a big correction. People making money with very active and creative trading? More power to you but it’s not for me. I don’t have the nerve for it.

Back
Top Bottom