• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

To all the Dads advice needed.

Father first and friends second. I do very much emphasize that I’m in charge but I’m also a friend he can come and ask questions and advice and I’ll give him the straight honest truth.

Being a stepparent is a difficult dynamic. No matter how long you’ve been involved. I’m in a similar situation having a 14 year old stepson who’s never met his real dad. Had him since he was 4. Best advice I can tell you is turn that dad setting up to 11 and the buddy buddy down to 0. Also make sure you and his mother are in lockstep with whatever action you take. It’s gonna be hard but don’t give up on him.

Being a stepparent is a difficult dynamic. No matter how long you’ve been involved. I’m in a similar situation having a 14 year old stepson who’s never met his real dad. Had him since he was 4. Best advice I can tell you is turn that dad setting up to 11 and the buddy buddy down to 0. Also make sure you and his mother are in lockstep with whatever action you take. It’s gonna be hard but don’t give up on him.

you’re right it is a very different dynamic. We do always make sure we’re on a united front and our decisions are made together. If one of the other things were wrong we talk about it afterwards in private. Definitely not giving up.

I definitely agree some schools are much better than others. Which one did you guys go to?

We're in middle GA so unfortunately no schools near you. He was in WTF Taekwondo, and when we moved it was an ATA Taekwondo school. I will say the ATA is a lot more involved with more classes, and the leadership classes.

Children learn what they live and live what they learn. Lead by example. Never talk bad about anyone and especially anyone who is part of the child's life. Be part of his life which means keep him outside when you can doing some type of work so as he's getting his exercise and helping with house chores.

We're in middle GA so unfortunately no schools near you. He was in WTF Taekwondo, and when we moved it was an ATA Taekwondo school. I will say the ATA is a lot more involved with more classes, and the leadership classes.

i’ve known a few people who did ATA And spoke very highly of it. There’s one reasonably close to us I’ll have to go check it out

I was a trouble kid as well. I played off a lot of things that it took me growing up to see. I was the black sheep! Even got sent to private school, big mistake! My father said if I kept my grades up I could get out after a couple years and go back to public school with my friends. I did that. And after the structure of private school, well public school was like being out of prison, it got worse! Everyone in the family said I would be dead by 30. I had to learn Everything the hard way, and son I have lived!!! So fast forward 30 years. I was chosen as executor of my fathers estate. My older siblings ask me for advice and money.one of My college educated ( masters in teaching)siblings is a contract 911 operator and my other sibling who retired 20 years army and 3 as a PMC is broke and hooked on pills along with his son, my nephew. Both are much older, I wasn’t supposed to happen. Birth control didn’t always work.
Just goes to show, you never know! Just don’t give up on him!!!!!

thendricks thendricks

Your son may have feelings of insecurity. When was the last time you “caught” him doing something right or good ??? Let him know that you love him even though you may not approve of some of his actions.
Good luck with this difficult issue.

Back
Top Bottom