• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

To all the Dads advice needed.

Have you tried martial arts? My kid has been in it for three years. He doesn't have issues, but I've seen some kids that came in wild and were tamed fairly quickly. When peers are serious about discipline and wanting to learn and grow, they won't put up with crap from other kids.

that was one of the first things I did. I did multiple martial arts growing up and it was the best thing for me. Did so much for my life

Do stuff with him. My dad was stretched thin between my two younger brothers and I, I wanted to do stuff with him that wasn't getting yelled at or getting my ass whooped for doing stupid stuff. If he's the only kid, see what he's into and do that with him.

thendricks,
Sometimes boys from a divorce situation go through a phase like the one you're describing. Had a couple of neighborhood boys that acted out like you're describing growing up in the 80's. Doesn't sound like meds are the answer as it made no difference. Could be something else going on that you don't know about. Maybe going to counseling with him might get you some answers.

Do stuff with him. My dad was stretched thin between my two younger brothers and I, I wanted to do stuff with him that wasn't getting yelled at or getting my ass whooped for doing stupid stuff. If he's the only kid, see what he's into and do that with him.

so we have a 2 year old as well. For example the three boys went outside and played together. We do this regularly. 2 year old runs around while me and him throw the football

that was one of the first things I did. I did multiple martial arts growing up and it was the best thing for me. Did so much for my life

I'm surprised that hasn't helped, but I think the school makes a difference as well. The first one he was in was just about the martial arts, but we moved and found another, and they do leadership classes as well. Some of these kids are seriously impressive. They do outreach to children's homes as well and teach other kids. My kid didn't want to do it at first, but we made him stick with it, and he loves it now.

You gotta find that kid’s passion and direct him to it. If he has something positive to focus on, the rest will fall into place...not overnight, and it may not be what y’all like but find something rewarding and challenging. What does he love that’s challenging?
Sports? Karate? Cars? Math?

My experience, most “troubled kids” are simply bored. They need more than a device, TV, or computer. He needs adventure and something to test him...and eventually a man he admires to pat him on the back and say sincerely, “good job, son!”

I'm surprised that hasn't helped, but I think the school makes a difference as well. The first one he was in was just about the martial arts, but we moved and found another, and they do leadership classes as well. Some of these kids are seriously impressive. They do outreach to children's homes as well and teach other kids. My kid didn't want to do it at first, but we made him stick with it, and he loves it now.

I definitely agree some schools are much better than others. Which one did you guys go to?

Back
Top Bottom