• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tire Problem. HELP!!!

Yup, happened to me too, bought a cycle tire and two years it was dry rotted all around the bead. Guy had sold me an new old tire. so much for trusting that guy ever again.

I had this exact same thing happen on a brand new rear tire. I had it put on at Earl Smalls H D ( hope it's ok to name the dealer. Wasn't their fault). Just one week before we left on a trip to Madison Wisconsin. We stopped at a rest area in Loves Park Illinois and when I was walking back to the scooter I saw a split about 4" long in the center oh the tread. It was Sunday evening and no dealers open. We rode on and on Monday I took it to Kutters H D in Janesville Wisconsin. Turned out there were 3 more splits in it.they contacted the tire manufacturer and They said it was a factory defect. Date code showed it was manufactured the 13 the week of 2012. Tire only 4 months old at the time. Kutters mounted another new tire at no charge.

Well I got my new tire and picked up the scooter this morning. The date code on the split tire says that it was manufactured the week of July 15th 2013. Which is only four months before I bought it. Which also makes it still less then two years old. So dry rot is at the bottom of the list. I think Potenza hit the nail on the head.

m&R motorcycles in Asheville. After that I learned a lot about tires. Either you get good handling and performance the first 10,000 miles and the tire wears out fast, or the sidewalls won't take a pot hole like the dunlops, or the Uv rays will dry the tires out. The last two sets I have owned were Michelin, great handling and long tread life. They did make the commanders which is what I had but have now come out with something new. I guess a lot of it has to do with the kind of bike you motor with. I always had the big cruisers and they will wear out quick. An old riding buddy swears by Kendra because they are cheap and last as long as the other brands do. I had a pair and they weren't bad and I paid less than $190 for them. Good luck and keep it between the ditches.

Today while doing the service on my motorcycle I looked at my rear tire and saw what appears to be splits in the tread. I have never seen anything like this before and wanted to see if anyone here has. What are your thoughts and solutions. I have already arranged to get the tire replaced but was curious as to what may have caused this.View attachment 406917
It is like this all the way around. There are "splits" in the tread and in the grooves between the tread. I had this tire installed in November of '13 and have put 16K miles on it since then. There is still plenty of good tread on it, so I am rather upset that it seems I have some sort of defective tire.

It is a Dunlop D407.
the fact that you got 16k on that tire is unbelievable mileage out of a dunlop 407 its time for new tires go see Ken at Kens tires Arnold mill rd Woodstock,he will treat you right!

sounds like you got taken care of but just for future reference, if you purchase a tire, check the date code. four digit code stamped on the sidewall, usually near the DOT markings. first two digits are the week (00-52) and the second two digits are the year (13= 2013).

Most people would say a tire is ok up to about 5 years old. The harder the compound the older it will be OK to ride. For a DOT race tire, I'd say 1-2 years old would be OK, sport bike tires, 2-3 years old, cruiser hockey puck, 5 years is fine. :)

I have metzeler tires on my harley, but usually ran pirelli on most of my sport bikes and now on my off road/dual sport bikes. last decently, perform great, and not too bad as far as prices.

Back
Top Bottom