• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tips and Tricks for removing a BCM Gas block?

Harbor Freight sells a good enough heat gun use occasionally. Normally not a fan of Harbor Freight class tools but mine serves the purpose very well and didn't cost a fortune. Those things can get upwards of 300 bucks.
I am a fan of BCM gas blocks because they always fit nice and snug. Heat em up slide em on.

I started cranking on the allen head and proceeded to break my snap-on bit and remembered they use some type of locking compound. Apparently its stronger than a hair dryer as it did'nt touch it. Am I going to need a torch to break the locking compound?
Had that problem once working on the seeker head of a missile guidance system trying to pull off the radome. Called the Navy and they said they used locking compound and the only way to get it loosened up without damage was to take the tip of a soldering iron that would fit in the cross of the Phillips screw and let it heat up the screw. Took several minutes of contact but it broke free pretty easily.

Had that problem once working on the seeker head of a missile guidance system trying to pull off the radome. Called the Navy and they said they used locking compound and the only way to get it loosened up without damage was to take the tip of a soldering iron that would fit in the cross of the Phillips screw and let it heat up the screw. Took several minutes of contact but it broke free pretty easily.
Brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom