• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tile work on a shower...

Just renovated our master bath about a year ago. Total demo and back with all ceramic shower stall and floor. Did all the work my self and ill be honest... I'll never do another, but I'm to old for that ****...

One suggestion. After pricing wet saw rentals and looking all over for a good used one to buy, I decided to buy a New Ridgid Saw from Depot. I used it doing my bath project taking my time and when I was totally finished put it up for sale and got within a hundred bucks of what I paid for it. I couldn't rent one for that amount and keep it as long as I needed it. Good high end tile saws are easy to sale. A couple of pics of the finished product. The master is small in our house but the house was build in '61. I also used a prefab shower floor.
B769BA28-7FEE-4549-B23E-8CE6895892AB.jpeg
63081F78-B315-4486-BA52-C9B9CFA8E4EE.jpeg
41BCA99A-6A65-438D-BFE7-6ACF57A4617F.jpeg

Just renovated our master bath about a year ago. Total demo and back with all ceramic shower stall and floor. Did all the work my self and ill be honest... I'll never do another, but I'm to old for that ****...

One suggestion. After pricing wet saw rentals and looking all over for a good used one to buy, I decided to buy a New Ridgid Saw from Depot. I used it doing my bath project taking my time and when I was totally finished put it up for sale and got within a hundred bucks of what I paid for it. I couldn't rent one for that amount and keep it as long as I needed it. Good high end tile saws are easy to sale. A couple of pics of the finished product. The master is small in our house but the house was build in '61. I also used a prefab shower floor.View attachment 2980844View attachment 2980845View attachment 2980846

Sorry to hijack the thread OP.
Looks like a good job. Did you install that glass?
BTW, is that vinyl tile?
I am just about to start our master bath shower.

Sorry to hijack the thread OP.
Looks like a good job. Did you install that glass?
BTW, is that vinyl tile?
I am just about to start our master bath shower.

Thanks, it turned out well.
No sir, did not install the glass. I had that cut and installed by a company out of Dallas. All of the tile in the shower and the floor is ceramic.

Good idea on buying a quality tile saw and selling it. They are not hard to sell. I actually bought one a few years ago, but I had a whole bathroom to do and a basement floor. So I knew I would get my use out of it.

I have a shower that I want to replace with a tile shower... The shower that was in my bathroom when I bought it was a CHEAP plasticy 4 piece job that has since cracked and I would like to replace with tile. I can do demo work and framing/wonderboard. Im very handy when it comes to construction but I haven't done tile before so I'd like to hire someone to do the tile and waterproofing part of the process.

Send me a pm if you do tile work, I'm in Dahlonega and on a bit of a strict budget, may be able to work some firearms trade into the deal if that helps but prefer to pay cash if we can agree on my budget.

I Understand these systems were made for DIY’ers.

Kerdi Orange Styrene Shower Kit https://www.lowes.com/pd/Schluter-Systems-Kerdi-Orange-Styrene-Shower-Kit/1000733898

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That Kerdi shower kit is pretty expensive for what it is IMO. Use Durock and good adhesives, grout and caulk and save a ton of money. The tile is only as good as what's behind it. And back in the day the go-to product was greenboard, water-resistant drywall essentially. It never posed an issue so long as the overall installation was done properly. And I've torn down my share of those types of tile jobs.

Do your research. It's really not that difficult. You learn by doing. Reach out to me, if you have any questions.

If you are worried about the shower pan look at the ones down homedepo. They make them out of fiberglass, steel or cast iron, none should leak, maybe better than pre fab.
Tile work is easy as long as the grout lines are larger than 1/16. Prep work is the key, the straighter the under laymen’s the nicer your tile will come out. Use good sealer over the durarock, nothing should leak.
Pan..300..durarock....200..tile and good thinset..400.. shower door..500. 1500 to 2000 is in your Ballpark if you do it yourself.
shoot me a pm, I should be able to answer most of your questions if you decide to tackle it your self.

Back
Top Bottom