• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tile work on a shower...

djocon93

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Builder of Guns, Rider of Bikes, Waster of Ammo
127   0
Reaction score
I have a shower that I want to replace with a tile shower... The shower that was in my bathroom when I bought it was a CHEAP plasticy 4 piece job that has since cracked and I would like to replace with tile. I can do demo work and framing/wonderboard. Im very handy when it comes to construction but I haven't done tile before so I'd like to hire someone to do the tile and waterproofing part of the process.

Send me a pm if you do tile work, I'm in Dahlonega and on a bit of a strict budget, may be able to work some firearms trade into the deal if that helps but prefer to pay cash if we can agree on my budget.

Are you tiling a shower stall or the walls above a tub? If you are on a strict budget, look into doing it yourself. Back in the day I worked for Color Tile, whose whole business model catered to floor and wall tile do-it-yourselfers. It is really not that difficult at all. I've done several shower surrounds (not shower floors -- much different). Do your research (Google, YouTube). Cement backer board is your best friend, if you are worried about leaks. Use a good quality caulk, too. The GE silicone stuff is great, but it's not that easy to work with. I prefer to go with the latex caulk like DAP, because of that.

Shower stall, I may be going the pre-fab tray route and just doing it myself. Having a hard time finding anyone who can do it in my price range.

Easy-peasy if you use a pre-fab base. Paying someone to do it (and I'm guessing here) is probably going to run $800-$1000. What you have to take into account is that tile work is not a once-and-done type of thing, especially if you do a hand-made base. It takes a while to cure. Likewise setting the tile needs to dry overnight, and then there's the grout, which also has to dry overnight, after which you have to wipe down the tile numerous times to remove the grout film. Once that is done, you can caulk. And 3 days later you should apply a silicone sealer to the grout.

Contractors are not going to want to come back several times for such a small job, but you may find one who will. Definitely get recent references and call them, if you go that route.

Good luck!

Easy-peasy if you use a pre-fab base. Paying someone to do it (and I'm guessing here) is probably going to run $800-$1000. What you have to take into account is that tile work is not a once-and-done type of thing, especially if you do a hand-made base. It takes a while to cure. Likewise setting the tile needs to dry overnight, and then there's the grout, which also has to dry overnight, after which you have to wipe down the tile numerous times to remove the grout film. Once that is done, you can caulk. And 3 days later you should apply a silicone sealer to the grout.

Contractors are not going to want to come back several times for such a small job, but you may find one who will. Definitely get recent references and call them, if you go that route.

Good luck!

Ya my budget is $1500 for the project, so its looking like DIY is going to be my route. So far I've been quoted, $7k, $2,500, and $2,250, all with me doing demo, providing all materials and doing the plumbing work.

I just finished up on mine. Total rip out and reinstall. Looked at all kinds of bases and decided to go with a prefab base, then tile shower and floor. Durarock in shower and coated with water prof, then tiled all. Used epoxy grout, never have to seal.
Talk to the guys up at floor and decor, they will point you in the right direction.
I think total cost with everything new, shower, vanity, crapper, shower door, marble top, everything less than 4 grand. That way you know what you have.

^^ This

As stated the money you save by doing it yourself can be used to put back into the bathroom improvements or simply just not spent. Figure at least 5% extra tile that what you figure you need just for cutting and mistakes. Tiles have dye lots like wallpaper, and you want them all to be the same. So buy more than you need, because the chances of you finding that dye lot again are spotty. Sometimes it's not a big deal; other times it is.

Also, Home Depot rents wet saws, highly recommended. But they are expensive. So make sure you have your ducks in a row on installation day. The last time I rented one I believe it was $45/day. I would hesitate buying one of the cheap $95 ones, unless you really want to keep it for later use. In the long run they may not really save much time or money, I've found.

Back
Top Bottom