• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

tick... tick.... tick..... tick.......Jeep.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
B0A5A723-E892-42E8-849D-EA57BD3FE1EE.jpeg
A78B3CB8-1061-4208-9348-28B8B09DDE9C.jpeg
691C2C4D-97E9-480B-8265-BBD57E8D52BD.jpeg
So my 99 cherokee 4.0 I6 has 290,000 miles on it.
I developed a slight tick when cold about 10-k miles ago.
It just started getting progressively worse to the point where it did it at all temps where as before it would be fine after it warmed up.
So I pulled my valve cover last night after doing a fuel pressure and compression test .
All cylinders were within spec in compression/fuel pressure fine.
My rocker bolts were tight, valve springs looked fine, all the pushrods spun by hand and did not appear bent at all.
Pushed down on push rod side of all rockers and did not get any movement indicating a smashed cam lobe.
I turned the crank through it’s paces and did
this multiple times to be sure.
Every thing up top looked pretty solid.
So......today I removed the oil pan and found a nice present inside.
I’ve got the dreaded broken piston skirt sickness on #5 cylinder on the downstroke side.
I contemplated pulling the head , replacing the piston and honing the cylinder bore but while I had access to the timing chain I decided to check it out and it had a crap ton of slack in it.
I figure with this mileage I may run another 10,000 miles before another skirt breaks so I’m just gonna yank the motor and do a complete rebuild, mostly stock but with a couple improvement mods like better injectors, header pipe, cat back high flow exhaust and a cold air intake....oh and a double roller timing set.
I may go with a hotter cam but I’ll see what the machine shop says cause these motors bone stock have plenty of power so with a fresh rebuild this baby will run like a scalded cat anyways and I don’t want to fiddle with what the stock fuel computer can’t handle.

Here’s a couple pics of the nice present in my oil pan.
From what I can see the cylinder wall looks pretty decent.
The fun begins.

Those old AMC 4.0 and 4.2s are great engines. A rebuilt one stroked a bit would make it feel quicker and I'd expect a modest mileage boost. Nothing wrong with going back with the Jeep inline 6! :thumb:

I know one guy that had an Cherokee with the 4.0 and he rebuilt it because it leaked oil from the old gaskets. It had 300K on it at the time and still ran just fine, but leaked bad.

Back
Top Bottom