• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Threaded my first barrel

That would be awesome but making a gun barrel is far outside of my ability I think. No blue how to do rifling. I wish I could. I’d really like to try a uzi parts kit.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a barrel blank.

Get to pick your twist rate that way as well.

Turn as much as you want between centers.

[Broken External Image]:

IMO, the muzzle device looks like it indexes off of the shoulder. You should clean that shoulder and cut it to 90 degrees with a relief to the minor thread dimension from the last rear thread to the shoulder. The cut at the shoulder should be filleted to avoid a stress point.

I left it with a slight shoulder since a 90 degree is a weak point. Tapered edge is significantly stronger. My concern was strength if I smack the suppressor of something. I didn’t want it to snap off at the shoulder.

I may be totally wrong with that thought though. I’m use to equipment that rolls steel and square edges is where stuff usually lets go.

Very accurate rifled Barrels were made in the late 18th century. After the bore was drilled out on some version of a metal-working lathe and reamed to size a cam bar machine was used to cut the rifling. It amounted to a machine that resembled a lathe with a set of ways with a rack and pinion gear arrangement. The rack was attached to a bar with a bushing and the bar could be set to an angle. A rod with a cutting tool the width of the groves (much like modern barrel cutting machines) was mounted to the pinion gear and as the rack and pinion gear were pulled along on a saddle the rack would follow the angled bar causing the pinion gear with the cutting tool to rotate, producing the twist. The rate of twist could be easily regulated by changing the angle of the bar. More angle, faster twist and visa versa. After one grove was cut the tool bar would be indexed to cut another and so on. Very effective machining process! I've been doing precision machining for over 40 years and never got around to trying it...yet!

This is something I should look into. I can machine and have made a lot of precise parts, but I wouldn’t call myself a machinist. Welding and rebuilding equipment is more my strength but I need to do it all for my career. Ive made a few form 1s and made an adapter for a law tactical to a nfa ar9 upper that they said wouldn’t work. That’s about it

Back
Top Bottom