Thread Protector Stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck1919

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
46   0
Reaction score
I got a Glock 21SF last June to use as a host for my SilencerCo. Octane 45 that I had just bought.
Gun went into the safe without shooting it, my mistake.
Just got my stamp and suppressor last week.
Problem is now, I cannot get the thread protector off. I contacted previous owner and he stated he had not used loctite or anything on it. However, the person he got it from may have. Does not appear to be rusted.
I have tried soaking it with master blaster and used heat. Still will not budge. Obviously cannot cut it off without screwing up the threads.
Cannot get it out of the slide with protector on.
Hate to but may just have to ruin it and buy another barrel.

Anybody know any magic?

Barrel.jpg

Can you clarify your use of heat? I know that if a soldering iron tip is laid across the threaded cover, it should heat it up and cause expansion breaking any Loctite if present. I keep a soldering iron for removing stubborn (glued in place) sights prior to installing night sights with a pusher. The only other thing could be a very fine flame butane/propane torch to just heat the threaded cover. Too much flame could alter the temper of the barrel.

wrap the barrel with cold water soaked rag, exposing only the top 1 inch, put it in a vice and while pouring ice sold on the rag, apply touch degree heat to the thread nut, about 1 minute it will expand larger than the area its hanging in and will turn off, Loctite or not. Keep the barrel cool and it won't expand with the nut, thus the cold water application (s)

Can you clarify your use of heat? I know that if a soldering iron tip is laid across the threaded cover, it should heat it up and cause expansion breaking any Loctite if present. I keep a soldering iron for removing stubborn (glued in place) sights prior to installing night sights with a pusher. The only other thing could be a very fine flame butane/propane torch to just heat the threaded cover. Too much flame could alter the temper of the barrel.

Placed in vice as best I could. Propane torch on protector only.

Sorry for asking the painfully obvious question, but you are turning it clockwise, not counterclockwise, correct?

Correct. Actually tried to move it both ways.

The only other thing I could say to try is find someone with an induction heater. We use these on seized bolts sometimes so you don’t damage gaskets or other heat sensitive items. But if a torch wouldn’t get it, it may be carbon locked and no heat will help that. Try soaking in carbon solvent?

The only other thing I could say to try is find someone with an induction heater. We use these on seized bolts sometimes so you don’t damage gaskets or other heat sensitive items. But if a torch wouldn’t get it, it may be carbon locked and no heat will help that. Try soaking in carbon solvent?

Tried master blaster. May try something else.

If an actual carbon solvent doesn’t touch it, I’d say you are running out of options. You know a good welder?
Get a nut that’s too big and will fit right over thread protector. Weld the nut to the thread protector while keeping the barrel wrapped in ice cold rags. This will put concentrated heat to the threads and allow you to put a wrench on it.
You are running out of options without ruining the barrel but you also don’t wanna ruin your slide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom