• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on durability of 15" freefloat rails.

Bamafan1973

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
291   0
Reaction score
Can't help but notice that the Marine in the pic below has a DMR with the gas block positioned just as the article suggests.

upload_2021-7-24_9-34-4.png
upload_2021-7-24_9-34-4.png

Certainly an interesting test. The newest handguard I have purchased was a Stinger. Expensive but thicker and a larger diameter. I think our pursuit of a lighter weight rifles has certainly compromised strength. Also cheaper handguards aren't helping matters either. We have to question the quality of aluminum as there are many grades. I for one don't hang a lot of accessories on my guns simply because I mostly target shoot. My home protection is a shotgun and revolver. We may have to rethink our choices in the future or just purchase a better product whatever manufacturer that might be. I do have a rifle with a handguard very similar to that one. I guess I will have to be careful during handling. It is amazing that one drop moved the point of impact a foot off. Thanks for the post. It gives a whole new area that Requires a bit more thought into the selection process.

Who here is running a MAWL?

Who here depends upon their rail mounted front sight as their primary means of aimed fire?

Everything is a trade-off. Yes, longer free-float rails have more flex. They also have more real estate for mounting, and keep your hands away from the gas block and barrel.

Shorter rails are more durable, with less real estate, more exposed hot barrel, and gas block.

I can seem to get away from having BUIS on all my carbines, but since all I run is Aimpoint Micros, I can make a very valid argument for NOT including BUIS. I have seen more fixed and flip-up sights “go down” or get damaged to the point of being non-usable/inaccurate than I have Aimpoint Micros.

Unless a rail was to flex or crush to the point that it damaged the gas tube, I don’t see a damaged rail causing any issues with the AR’s that the vast majority of civilians and LE run.

If the rail is just bring flexed/bent, it’s going to impact the gas lock and stop, long before it ever contacts the gas tube. Rail impact with a properly installed gas block should not effect the functioning of the weapon.

So, unless you’re dependent upon sighting devices mounted to the rail, rail flex is a moot point.

I concur with cmshoot cmshoot and to add on,

When would the rail flex? During the recoil, after the round leaves the chamber. So there’s no worries about it affecting the accuracy. If the rail contacts the barrel or gas tube/ I haven’t seen any durability issues with free float rails; except really cheap rails that get loose or stripped out. If a rail flexes enough to touch the gas block/ gas tube, there’s a very serious issue with the rail.

Buy once, Cry once.

Bitch, unless you're using rail mounted laser this entire argument/article is bull****. **** is so overbuilt these days this argument is moot. On top of that, you boomer ****s don't even shoot your guns so how are you going to argue rail rigidity?

November Sierra November Sierra I tried flexing the barrel and handguard like the article suggested on my rifle and it didn't even come close to touching, however I have a 10" alg handguard and was thinking about going to a 15" because of how much more ergonomic it is when you shoot with the stock fully collapsed like you would pretty much have to in a house. I came across his article while I was googling a particular 15" rail and thought I would ask others who had more experience.

Back
Top Bottom