• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thought most folks didn’t like

40 is my primary pistol caliber,**** the haters!!
I don't hate 40 . But ever since I was a teenager if you thought you needed something bigger than 9mm you automatically went to 45ACP. I called 40 a fad back in 90 or 91. It might have been a fad But it lasted a lot longer than I expected it to.

It's more an academic thing for me. It's basically an anemic 10mm. The story as I understand it was that the 10MM where causing the FBI to have sub optimal scores in handgun proficiency. So rather than spend the time and effort to teach marksmanship, a new caliber was commissioned with less recoil to compensate and bring scores back in line. It just seems like a poor reason and a bandaid to the problem, rather than a solution. As a caliber, it's slower and arguably less powerful than 9mm hence the nickname .40 Slow and Weak. It's more expensive and, in normal times, not as plentiful in the wild. It doesn't suppress well and is just generally the odd man out. At least that's my beef with it.

Yeh. The price vs what it achieves is why I just stick with 9mm. I don't think that is an inherently terrible round however.

It's more an academic thing for me. It's basically an anemic 10mm. The story as I understand it was that the 10MM where causing the FBI to have sub optimal scores in handgun proficiency. So rather than spend the time and effort to teach marksmanship, a new caliber was commissioned with less recoil to compensate and bring scores back in line. It just seems like a poor reason and a bandaid to the problem, rather than a solution. As a caliber, it's slower and arguably less powerful than 9mm hence the nickname .40 Slow and Weak. It's more expensive and, in normal times, not as plentiful in the wild. It doesn't suppress well and is just generally the odd man out. At least that's my beef with it.
What specs are you looking at?

Back
Top Bottom