• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking about getting back into compound bow hunting.

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
I use to shoot a 75 lb draw weight about 200 times a day when I was younger but then I wore my shoulder out doing it.

I'm thinking of going with a 50 lb draw so I don't mess up my shoulder again and using the smallest most compact bow I can find.

Do you guys have any experience hunting with a 50 lb draw weight bow? Good bad or ugly? Is it humane for deer. Keep in mind I was a 3D shooter for years and in the 90s I shot 7th in the state of Georgia So my shooting is spot on when it comes to accuracy. So that is not an issue. The only concern I have is if the bow is strong enough to go through and through and take down a deer.

I got a Excalibur yesterday but it just doesn't have the same appeal to me as a compound that I have shot for many years. I don't know maybe the crossbow is my only option since my shoulder can't take a heavy draw compound anymore.

I’m picking up a pse ferocity...lot of bow for the $. I too have shoulder issues. The pull can be set as low as 24-34# depending on the model. I’m getting the 60# model & hoping to work up to 50# by September. I had another bow at 45# but my shoulder was gone at 2-3 pulls. The 80% let off & the evolve system makes 35# feel like 27# imo.

I prefer bowhunting over gun hunting, lets the game have a fair chance and makes you hone your skills to get up close and personal. Patience is the virtue and will make or break someone quickly.

I got a Excalibur yesterday but it just doesn't have the same appeal to me as a compound that I have shot for many years. I don't know maybe the crossbow is my only option since my shoulder can't take a heavy draw compound anymore.
Yep looking for a compound now.82 acres behind the house and the deer are everywhere

50lbs is more than enough for a humane kill. When I started bow hunting, compounds weren't even legal in Georgia and it was common to see people using 45lb recurves with great success. Complete pass throughs was the norm.
Right on. :) Thanks man.
I’m picking up a pse ferocity...lot of bow for the $. I too have shoulder issues. The pull can be set as low as 24-34# depending on the model. I’m getting the 60# model & hoping to work up to 50# by September. I had another bow at 45# but my shoulder was gone at 2-3 pulls. The 80% let off & the evolve system makes 35# feel like 27# imo.
Love a PSE bow. May have to look into that one as well.

50lbs is more than enough for a humane kill. When I started bow hunting, compounds weren't even legal in Georgia and it was common to see people using 45lb recurves with great success. Complete pass throughs was the norm.
and all we had were the old Bear broadheads

Back
Top Bottom