• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking about getting a 1st suppressor.

I've been researching suppressors lately and am finally at the point that I'm ready to make the NFA leap.

I'm wanting a can that can easily be switched between a 10.3 & 16" AR and a 16" AK. It appears the Dead Air Sandman S would fill this role nicely. My LGS has a black and a Mil spec FDE in stock. I requested a form 1 packet (still thinking about doing an SBR) with 2 additional Fingerprint cards (for form 4) from the ATF (there free) and received everything about 3 days later. I still need to get Passport photos and to get over to the Sheriff's Office to get fingerprinted. The LGS says they will handle all the Form 4 paperwork and they are seeing 6-13 month waiting times.

I would like to run a can on the 10.3" full time as it will become my HD setup. I would like the option to run it on a 16" Recce build and a 16" AK sometimes, however, the 16" rifles will still be shot unsuppressed mostly. I've heard a lot of people buying the Sandman series lately. Does anyone have experience with the Sandman S, good or bad?

Also, I don't have personal checks so I will need to send a Money Order to the ATF. I have never purchased a MO are they trackable? If I use a MO will I be able to know when the ATF cashes it?

As for muzzle devices, I've read to run a brake on a 10.3 since they are harsher on the can and to run a Flash Hider on a rifle that will not be shot suppressed 100% of the time. Is this the general consensus?

Thanks.
The only issue I have with my class 3 toys is what do I do with em when I die. I'm afraid that the government will arrest my Nephew if he were to get them after I'm gone and he probably wouldn't know what he had. I often think about just turning them in because you never know what might happen in life.

I figured the zombie hordes would have been here by now and I guess they are but they are a PROTECTED class and we go to prison if we shoot them and they get to do whatever they want.

Just food for thought OP.

Ok, so imo, the will answers the next gen of beholders. I figure if anyone is gonna play with my toys, I'll be around...till I'm not.
next question...whats up and why with engraving?
Folks who manufacture their own suppressors or register an SBR, for example, need engravings on their NFA items.

That's technically true but you really don't have to do that. There's a page you add to the end of your trust that removes everyone from your trust. Then when you get your stamp you throw that page in the trash and they are all magically back on.

That's true with 'modern' trusts, although the ATF could make that dodge harder (or impossible) if they choose to. The trust I have is pretty old, so there's no verbiage in it that would support it, and getting it rewritten would be more than it's worth. Cheaper just to get a 2nd trust with the right language in it from the get-go.

And from what I understand you do have to keep a record of the adds/removals in the trust docs, correct? I would think that would give the ATF ammo that you were using that language to get around the intent of the law. Or am I mistaken in that?

Things must have changed when I actually did my trust for my AAC can. None of the trustees listed had to provide finger prints. I had the provide full information on them, but it didn't include finger printing.

They did... a few years ago when they passed rule 41F. That changed the whole way things worked and got rid of a lot of the benefits of trusts. Now anyone listed on the trust that can take possession of the item(s) (a 'responsible person') has to submit all the same stuff as the original person.

Basically, if they are named in your trust they have to submit photos and prints.

Back
Top Bottom