• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking About a 410 AR for home defense

I think you should consider ammunition options for what you have before a whole new gun to learn. I would think any BTHP round worth it's weight in salt would suffice just fine for home defense without running too much risk of over penetration.

On top of that maybe consider a low light class coupled with some sort of defensive rifle class. Maybe even some lectures on the minutiae of home defense. Just a thought.

^^^^^^ This^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realize it’s not a mean dog to turn loose....

You do have to use sights and well aimed fire...

Thanks for your thoughts.
I am well aware of having a loaded weapon in my hand while watching incoming armed individuals coming at me over the wire, and am very aware that under those circumstances it is extremely difficult to get off a well managed shot or multiple aimed shots. A 20 round magazine lasted less than 3 or 4 seconds and I'm sure I didn't hit squat that time. But I may have gotten a few of them with the bullets passing by the intended target.

My intent, other than stopping an intruder, is to do as little damage possible to other people sleeping in the adjoining houses.

From what ive read most of the 410 AR uppers dont perform very well and have some issues jamming....youd be better served with a semi shotgun with tube extension in my opinion

This is one of my concerns. Almost every review of the 410 ARs, even the well broken in ones, shows feed failures sometimes within the 5 round magazine. The 410s in that format are fairly new and not that many makers in the field right now, and it may take another 3 or 4 years for them to work all the bugs out. I am not a gun smith and if I attempted to build one on my own it might end up like some of my other ventures with chainsaws and brake jobs and the sort of things that are better left to the pros.

But a competent gunsmith could probably take on of the problematical uppers and sort out the issues and build a functioning lower and create a weapon that I would be proud to defend with, but I don't really have the $1500 or $2000 or more that it would take.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I am well aware of having a loaded weapon in my hand while watching incoming armed individuals coming at me over the wire, and am very aware that under those circumstances it is extremely difficult to get off a well managed shot or multiple aimed shots. A 20 round magazine lasted less than 3 or 4 seconds and I'm sure I didn't hit squat that time. But I may have gotten a few of them with the bullets passing by the intended target.

My intent, other than stopping an intruder, is to do as little damage possible to other people sleeping in the adjoining houses.
Well all the more reason to consider modern, commercial training then. I don't know what kind of rifle training you've received in the past, nor do I know your skill level. I can only go off what I've read thus far. Mil training and employment of tactics probably isn't what I would want in a break in scenario. Especially if you've got young ones in the house you need to secure first. That being said, if it were me, I would look at available ammunition offerings from Barnes or Speer to begin with.

This is one of my concerns. Almost every review of the 410 ARs, even the well broken in ones, shows feed failures sometimes within the 5 round magazine. The 410s in that format are fairly new and not that many makers in the field right now, and it may take another 3 or 4 years for them to work all the bugs out. I am not a gun smith and if I attempted to build one on my own it might end up like some of my other ventures with chainsaws and brake jobs and the sort of things that are better left to the pros.

But a competent gunsmith could probably take on of the problematical uppers and sort out the issues and build a functioning lower and create a weapon that I would be proud to defend with, but I don't really have the $1500 or $2000 or more that it would take.
That $2k is well over a solid couple of classes and good home defense ammo, given you can find it. Ball ammo is roughly the price of quality match/defensive ammo anyway so may as well invest in something better than 855/ball ammo.

Well all the more reason to consider modern, commercial training then. I don't know what kind of rifle training you've received in the past, nor do I know your skill level. I can only go off what I've read thus far. Mil training and employment of tactics probably isn't what I would want in a break in scenario. Especially if you've got young ones in the house you need to secure first. That being said, if it were me, I would look at available ammunition offerings from Barnes or Speer to begin with.

That $2k is well over a solid couple of classes and good home defense ammo, given you can find it. Ball ammo is roughly the price of quality match/defensive ammo anyway so may as well invest in something better than 855/ball ammo.

My training is 23 years in the Air Force (retired in 1992) with quite a few trips to the bush in Vietnam. I was an intel collector and was never supposed to be involved in the front line but there were a few trips to the forward to collect low power radio communications. The last time I was out I had collected and was in the process of decrypting the message that they were coming now so had very little time to get the word out. I had an M16 and 1 20 round magazine and was told to destroy my gear and classified materials. Naturally that didn't take long and I went out and they were coming and not being combat hardened I really added to the clusterf***. Anyway, empty rifle and the knife fight ensued. I won that one but it was close.

I didn't volunteer to go out to bushes after that.

You do realize it’s not a mean dog to turn loose....

You do have to use sights and well aimed fire...

At 2am, just shocked awake, wife and kids panicking, poor fine motor skills, in the dark... It takes a lot of regular training to perform well under those conditions.

Back
Top Bottom