• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

They Have been Cheating on Us for Quite a Bit….

OttoMan

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
Do unto others what you want them to do to you!
421   0
Reaction score
3D9A1858-42F4-4C58-A633-B07795AD3287.png

When I was but a wee lad my grandfather was a carpenter and he took me to the job site with him. Mostly new build, soup to nuts with a small contractor, custom homes. As such I was around job sites from probably age 4 onward. When I was a bit older, young teens, we did a large addition to our house and grandpa did most of the work. While demo'ing part of the old walls where the addition joined I was shocked to see those gigantic 2x4's, not at all what I was used to seeing in framing lumber for so many years. I asked him why they used specialty lumber in our house (originally built in the 1920's) and he just laughed at me. He grabbed a 2x4 off the ground, held it up next to one of the old 2x4s in the wall and explained to me that building codes and lumber dimensions just change over the years.

All that old framing ended up being rough cut 2x4, spruce (down in southern California). Great wood, I saved some of it and turned it into guitar tops later.

Look at the growth rings, too. I worked for a company out of Indiana years ago, that grew it's own forests for wood production. They were constantly looking for faster growth methods, which of course makes financial sense for their bottom line. Problem was, the faster the growth, the more unstable the product. That's why you can barely find a 2x4 at Home Depot that is straight, or stays straight.

Back
Top Bottom