• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thermal scopes/Night Vision

It’s a good chunk of cash, it’s technology, so make sure you’re going to use it often. When you go to sell it, expect far less than what you paid, just like the tv or computer you bought 5 years ago. I’ve been down this path, so make the decision based on your ability to use it often.

It’s a good chunk of cash, it’s technology, so make sure you’re going to use it often. When you go to sell it, expect far less than what you paid, just like the tv or computer you bought 5 years ago. I’ve been down this path, so make the decision based on your ability to use it often.

Very true! It always sucks to re sale something and take a Hit same with builds with guns. Spend 2k expect to sale for 800 lol

I'd like to know any first hand experience with buying new pulsar thermal vs ATN vs Flir. I'd also like the record feature and streaming but I only want it if it works. I've read stuff about different ones freezing up and you have to reboot to make your scope work. I'm sure these will be much more affordable in 5 years but I don't really want to wait.

I've become convinced that a night vision scope is competently unnecessary to hunt at night. I'm no expert at night hunting, but have done a crap ton of research on it and have done enough of it to believe I'm correct in this.

The first thing you need to understand is that animals simply are not spooked by visible light the vast majority of the time. Sure it may draw their attention, but it does not scare them. Because it might draw their attention, you don't want to have visible light on all the time. It can cause them to notice other things about your presence that will spook them. That means you should have NV binoculars or monocular and a powerful visible light mounted to your weapon. You will need a handheld NV optic either way. You can't be constantly scanning with a weapon mounted optic. What this means is that you can very successful night hunt at a fraction of the cost of a good NV scope.

There are very reasonably priced NV binos out there as long as you're not expecting to be hunting at hundreds of yards. I recently got a set of these... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGF5ZKP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ...and was very pleasantly surprised by their light weight, quality, intuitive use and performance. Combining it with this... https://www.amazon.com/FANDYFIRE-Fl...d=1579467124&sprefix=vastfire,aps,166&sr=8-46 ... mounted to my weapon has proven to be a lethal combination.

I'd like to know any first hand experience with buying new pulsar thermal vs ATN vs Flir. I'd also like the record feature and streaming but I only want it if it works. I've read stuff about different ones freezing up and you have to reboot to make your scope work. I'm sure these will be much more affordable in 5 years but I don't really want to wait.

slow99 slow99 might have some input

I've never had a problem with mine freezing up while copying pictures/videos to my phone. I have a ThorHD though; the newer Thor 4's use a different app, so I can't speak to them.

I will say, don't bother getting a 384 resolution thermal, though. Tylerls1 Tylerls1 has a pulsar with 640 resolution and the picture quality difference is enormous compared to my thor.

The new Bering Optics Hogsters are getting good reviews, but I've not seen one in person. Take a look over at Night Goggles, and give them a call https://www.nightgoggles.com/produc...ing_wp_cron=1579569428.8528831005096435546875

The Pulsar Trails have been having issues with shifting zeros with temperature fluctuations so I'd stay away from them. I've not seen the same reports with their new Thermion line, and I believe they are discontinuing the Trail line except for a model or two.

Flir has pulled out of the consumer market, and they are no longer selling weapon sight thermals to civilians. They are only selling scanners. So the hell with Flir. I'd get an ATN before I got a FLIR just on principal. Speaking of ATN, I've shot with some friend's units, and they aren't bad. Their customer service gets a bad rep, and I think they have too many features that you won't use.

At the current price points on the lower end thermal models, the Hogsters seem to be the best purchase on the market right now. If you want to step up in price, then I'd be looking at Trijicon or N-Vision. Or wait and see what comes out at Shot

Back
Top Bottom