• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

There is still some "real" good deal gun value around here....

CQB27

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
271   0
Reaction score
Picked this up the other day from a fine ODT member. A Mossberg Maverick 88 built by the good folks at Maverick Arms in Eagle Pass Texas. Started life as a 28 inch vent rib barrel that was cut down by the previous owner to about 19 inches. I cut the barrel down to 18 and 3/8 because I wanted to add a surplus Glock tritium sight from the parts box to the rib for a front sight and I needed to shorten the vent rib a bit to get that done. By the way I got that great idea from ArmyEngineer93 ArmyEngineer93 so shout out to him! Now I have a good high vis white ring for daytime shooting and an illuminated tritium dot for nighttime work!

After of years of not thinking much of the budget 88 line, I have to say I was wrong in that thinking. This is a solid firearm that is more "Mossberg 500" in every part except finish/trigger group/furniture and Price. The best part, and the reason for the post, I got it + 100 rounds of range ammo (#8 birdshot) in a ammo can + a Midway USA nylon case for $200. I have always been a fan of the vent rib home defense shotgun look. I'm glad to add this to the home defense arsenal and even more glad to find such a solid ODT deal locally.

Some pics of the finished product.

SG4.jpg
SG5.jpg
SG6.jpg

5 rounds of buckshot from 25 yards shot standing unsupported at a good self defense pace, about as fast as I could fire-rack-fire. It patterns good as far as I'm concerned.

SG7.jpg

5 rounds of 1oz slug from 50 yards standing supported. Plenty accurate (the one thrown was all on me) for defending the mountain top.

SG8.jpg

Good days and deals are out there, if you filter through all the self proclaimed "Good Deal" posts and don't try to low ball an already real good deal. The ODT is still as good as it used to be sometimes....True Story.

What front sight are you using? I love the look of the vent rib cut down. Think I may do that to mine.
I don't remember the manufacturer, but any glock front sight that screws tight to the frame should work.

One like this
1637272705400.png

This is how I did it:

1.) I measured the front sight cut dimensions on a Glock 17 slide with micrometer. Ok, no I didn't, LOL! I did break out my drill bit set and chase the front sight cut with several bits until I found the one that fit, turns out it's a 1/8 bit for the proper width cut. I would need to drill two overlapping holes to get the proper length.

2.) I used a machinist punch (about as fancy as I got) to mark the spot on the vent for the first hole. Then I used a small bit to drill a pilot hole, then switched to the 1/8 bit. Same process to the drill the second overlapping hole to give me the estimated proper length. This left me with a fat figure looking sight cut. Used a small jeweler's file to file down the center points of the 8. Filled a little, test fit the sight, repeat until it took some light tapping with a nylon hammer to set the sight. I wanted an interference type fit.

3.) I had to cut the sight screw with a dremel it get the proper length to fit under the vent. I also had to file the vent dovetail to allow the screw to clear the bottom vent rib channel. Then pushed the screw into place below the cut, pushed the screw up through the vent rib, added some red loctite and threaded the sight on. Tapped the sight into place and finished tightening the screw. Done.

it held up well
To be honest, after shooting it I was thinking the only practical difference between a $400 Remington 870 and the $200 88 is in the magazine tube. The 88 holds 5 rounds while the 870 holds 4.

Nice job. However deals on here are like the magic 8 ball use to come with. " Your chances are not good ".
Well that's just not true, you just have to see them at the right time. Most folks are ok hanging onto it until you can meet up. Hell I got am everything but the receiver 10/22 package for $50 a few weeks back. It's just like fishing....just have to sit back, drink a beer and be patient.

Back
Top Bottom