• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The trend

giphy-2.gif

Hope you aren't house shopping right now.

There is a difference when ALL houses have gone up in value... It is assumed that your house also went up, and so when you sell it, you have more to play with to buy the next house. It's why some investors say that your home really isn't a great investment. Sure, you could have bought it at $200k and 15 years later it is worth $400k. Seems like a nice profit, right? Problem is that you sold your home and need someplace to live and most of the homes you are looking at, are now $400k and up... So unless you sat on a home for 30 years, saw it REALLY go up in value and now you are retiring and downsizing and so you buy the house cash and still have half left over to toss in the bank...

Anyway, that's different than someone selling a Glock for $800 used here, when there are THREE local dealers this weekend, that I personally saw(hell, I bought one), selling brand new Glock 19 Gen5's for $519. There is "the market"... and then there is ODT. haha

This year is the first that I've added people to the ignore list.

I added a lot this year.

I can understand defending the "right" to price gouge or charge whatever you want. If someone wants to pay $500 for a box of ammo, no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to in a free market.

In an argument for capitalism, you can make those arguments that people should be allowed to do it. Conceptually, I don't think that anyone disagrees. My arguments have been about the justifications that people try, that don't hold water.

If you argument is, "Because I can"... Ok, I don't like it, but I would concede that you absolutely can...

If you argument is "supply and demand", then that I will take issue with, because I can easily prove that to be bull**** by showing all of the dealers selling the same gun at normal prices. People think that my argument has been against the ability to charge what people want to charge, and while I think asking $900 for a Glock is idiotic... that's never really been the crux of my argument...

I have debated the lame ass justifications that people have concocted... If you are just wanting to take advantage of panic buyers and make a profit, great. OWN it and admit it. lol

But if you are gonna pretend that this is what "the market" is doing... I am gonna call BS and give example after example of where the market is clearly NOT doing that. ODT may be part of the market, but it's hardly representative of what's going on in most local retail stores...

I added a lot this year.

I can understand defending the "right" to price gouge or charge whatever you want. If someone wants to pay $500 for a box of ammo, no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to in a free market.

In an argument for capitalism, you can make those arguments that people should be allowed to do it. Conceptually, I don't think that anyone disagrees. My arguments have been about the justifications that people try, that don't hold water.

If you argument is, "Because I can"... Ok, I don't like it, but I would concede that you absolutely can...

If you argument is "supply and demand", then that I will take issue with, because I can easily prove that to be bull**** by showing all of the dealers selling the same gun at normal prices. People think that my argument has been against the ability to charge what people want to charge, and while I think asking $900 for a Glock is idiotic... that's never really been the crux of my argument...

I have debated the lame ass justifications that people have concocted... If you are just wanting to take advantage of panic buyers and make a profit, great. OWN it and admit it. lol

But if you are gonna pretend that this is what "the market" is doing... I am gonna call BS and give example after example of where the market is clearly NOT doing that. ODT may be part of the market, but it's hardly representative of what's going on in most local retail stores...
You're gonna really be pissed off when you find out that convenience stores exist. Ever paid $1 for a bottle of water that publix sells for 25 cents? $1 for two ibuprofen that Kroger sells for 10 cents? That's price gouging man! LOL

You're gonna really be pissed off when you find out that convenience stores exist. Ever paid $1 for a bottle of water that publix sells for 25 cents? $1 for two ibuprofen that Kroger sells for 10 cents? That's price gouging man! LOL
Good God man! You're going to give him a case of the vapors! Desist!

There is a difference when ALL houses have gone up in value... It is assumed that your house also went up, and so when you sell it, you have more to play with to buy the next house. It's why some investors say that your home really isn't a great investment. Sure, you could have bought it at $200k and 15 years later it is worth $400k. Seems like a nice profit, right? Problem is that you sold your home and need someplace to live and most of the homes you are looking at, are now $400k and up... So unless you sat on a home for 30 years, saw it REALLY go up in value and now you are retiring and downsizing and so you buy the house cash and still have half left over to toss in the bank...

Anyway, that's different than someone selling a Glock for $800 used here, when there are THREE local dealers this weekend, that I personally saw(hell, I bought one), selling brand new Glock 19 Gen5's for $519. There is "the market"... and then there is ODT. haha
From all your posts about buying guns, you must have the largest collection on the ODT.

From all your posts about buying guns, you must have the largest collection on the ODT.

Not even close. I am sure there are people here that have more value in guns than I have in my home. lol

I have been buying, selling and trading guns for 20+ years. Before ODT I would simply lose my shirt selling or trading them in at a dealer, once in awhile a personal friend would buy one...

I get bored easily and like to try things out. Sometimes it is all that you hope it to be. Other times, it doesn't shoot well for me, or I don't like how it fits my hand, etc... Sometimes you just want something different.

I know what you are alluding to, but your logic is flawed. People with lots of transactions doesn't mean they are breaking the law.

Trading guns or selling ones you don't want or don't like, I have never criticized...

We all know that there are people here, that are in the BUSINESS of selling guns with the intent to profit and create a revenue stream, without an FFL. There are. There is no point in trying to pretend that those people are not here, buying the cheaper guns and flipping them the same day here or on other sites for $200 more each, on a regular basis... I have seen them, it's pretty well documented.

That's not even what I am talking about here though...

Anyway, I don't care if people charge $900 for a Glock that the local stores are all selling for $500. Go for it. But come up with a better argument than "Supply and demand" when we all know that to be BS. If you just want to cash out and make money from panic buyers, sack up and own it. That's all the "justification" that one needs. But if one goes to the trouble to concoct some lame argument that doesn't hold water, one should expect people to poke holes in that. :-)

Back
Top Bottom