• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The prices set on the unhampered market correspond to an equilibrium of demand and supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently “moderators” get their panties in a bunch if someone mentions price gouging on this site. I got my post removed and a “warning”
While there is plenty that goes on here that can bind a mod's panties, a straight up rules violation does not qualify.

Explain how any of this has anything to do with the owner of ODT making money or not? Are you saying that those who sell things actually pay for ad space? It seems to me like sponsors and those who are paying for ad space are the ones with market prices that have not changed in months. No one is saying anything about that. The ones trying to sell their used Glock for 1000 or more are not making anything for the owner. It is certainly not driving clicks to an ad or helping to sell ad space, which is how money is made on these type forums. If anything it is just the opposite. Please explain your premise.

the owner sells subscriptions to post ads in his classifieds. the classifieds are what brings traffic to this site. traffic and ad clicks drive revenue. add that with the fact he has clearly stated he will not get involved in transactions and will not allow negative comments in ads. the price whiners wish for him to do something about it. why would he? you are asking him to value your feelings over his business. which again is why those who complain have been unsuccessful in effecting change on this topic.

I have to admit I'm confused on the part of your statement I bolded. Are you saying that the ODT classifieds are NOT part of the overall market?

From what I've seen on GB, and at some of the smaller gun shops I've been to, the prices we're seeing on ODT fall completely in line with the overall market trends.

You mention going to AO to buy a gun for hundreds less, but have you been to AO lately?

Last time I was there the entire Glock section had maybe 10-12 guns spread across all the cases. They do sell significantly below the 'spot market' of ODT/GB/Armslist, etc., and because of that they don't have any supply.

That's OK for them since they make a smaller profit but can still sell in volume. I've seen smaller stores selling Ruger AR-556s for over $1,000, but they have to make their profit off the single gun they could get in.

All of these various sellers are 'the market', and as in any good market, prices vary across different parts of it. A market may set the 'optimal' price for something, but it does that by having a wide variety of prices available for people to choose from.

Just like any Bell curve, most people will buy in the fat part of the price curve, but there's still a bunch of folks buying in the 'tails'.

That doesn't make those tails ('deals' and 'gouging') non-market, it just means they bracket the more typical price ranges.

I can answer the bolded part truthfully. Not where I shop. Georgia Gun Store, Five Star Pawn, Freedom Mill, DG&P, Alexander's and some others... All dealers locally, that are selling at or within a few percentage points of pre-covid pricing. I was posting up TONS of those deals in the Steals and Deals section, and got slapped down, my threads locked or deleted and awarded infraction points.

The deals are out there, but it discouraged to post them all here. We can banter back and forth as to the reasons why... but to this argument it doesn't really matter. They ARE suppressed and discouraged, that's the end result.

While ODT is "part of the market"... true... What happens here is grossly pronounced over what I have seen in the market. Look at the price of used Glocks here. I just bought a BNIB from a local dealer, a G19 Gen4, for $478. P365's for $500. A Gen5 Glock 19 for $517... The much touted "rare" G19x... $569 new at a dealer. I see DG&P and Five Start posting AR's in the $600 range...

I am NOT saying people shouldn't list for what they want, and I know the rules about crapping within someone's listing and I will abide by that.

I am merely arguing that the statement of "the prices here are inline with the market", isn't really true.

the price whiners wish for him to do something about it. why would he?

Show me. You guys keep making this claim, but I have yet to see anyone actually ask for him to get involved and set price limits. Show me where that was said. Copy and paste the links where someone legit asked for that.

I will wait.

the owner sells subscriptions to post ads in his classifieds. the classifieds are what brings traffic to this site. traffic and ad clicks drive revenue. add that with the fact he has clearly stated he will not get involved in transactions and will not allow negative comments in ads. the price whiners wish for him to do something about it. why would he? you are asking him to value your feelings over his business. which again is why those who complain have been unsuccessful in effecting change on this topic.
No I am not asking him to do anything. I understand why the rules are the way they are. I was just asking you to clarify your statement. Actually I am not taking sides in this debate at all. Just trying to have a conversation but that is not usually very easy on here. Are you saying that the $12 a year for being a supporter is where he makes his money? If so I would say you are wrong.

Disagree, that only partially applies to the current situation.
Example: the .22lr shortage lasted as long as it did because .22lr flippers did their best to buy up all the supply and force people to pay their much higher prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom