• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The ole 35 got to eat this afternoon

Had about an hour to hunt this afternoon so went to a ladder stand back behind my house on the creek. Sit there maybe 20-25 minutes and saw a deer moving way down in the bottom about 200 yds away. Put my binoculars up & could see it was a buck but he wasn’t coming my way.
Got my grunt call out of my bag and blew it pretty loud since it was windy. He looked my direction and bristled up & came at a steady stiff legged walk to about 50 yds and hung up.
He stood in the same spot behind a big tree for at least 10 minutes and didn’t move a muscle. All I could see was from his belly back so I just sit there with my rifle on him.
I finally eased my grunt call up & gave a soft grunt.
He took one step forward and that was enough to put one in his neck. Dropped him in his tracks. Got him with my 34 year old Marlin 336 35 rem.
Not bad for a Monday!
BY THE WAY...IT'S A PUTNAM BUCK:DView attachment 3704046View attachment 3704049View attachment 3704050View attachment 3704051View attachment 3704052
Congrats, nice buck

Had about an hour to hunt this afternoon so went to a ladder stand back behind my house on the creek. Sit there maybe 20-25 minutes and saw a deer moving way down in the bottom about 200 yds away. Put my binoculars up & could see it was a buck but he wasn’t coming my way.
Got my grunt call out of my bag and blew it pretty loud since it was windy. He looked my direction and bristled up & came at a steady stiff legged walk to about 50 yds and hung up.
He stood in the same spot behind a big tree for at least 10 minutes and didn’t move a muscle. All I could see was from his belly back so I just sit there with my rifle on him.
I finally eased my grunt call up & gave a soft grunt.
He took one step forward and that was enough to put one in his neck. Dropped him in his tracks. Got him with my 34 year old Marlin 336 35 rem.
Not bad for a Monday!
BY THE WAY...IT'S A PUTNAM BUCK:DView attachment 3704046View attachment 3704049View attachment 3704050View attachment 3704051View attachment 3704052
Nice buck Sir.

82644914-EE42-43E9-B29D-A5A7085AB53D.jpeg
wanted to another picture showing how black he was.
I don’t think I’ve ever killed a buck as black lookin as this one. Any thoughts on it?

I have got a nice old 35 and could really use some rounds for it. I am not looking for a bunch, just 2 or 3 boxes to hunt with. I would also like to find some gun chaps for it.

I have got a nice old 35 and could really use some rounds for it. I am not looking for a bunch, just 2 or 3 boxes to hunt with. I would also like to find some gun chaps for it.
I bought 3 boxes of Hornady Leverevolution about 3 years ago. Glad I did cause they're scarce now and when you can find em they're high as giraffe.......Y

View attachment 3705465wanted to another picture showing how black he was.
I don’t think I’ve ever killed a buck as black lookin as this one. Any thoughts on it?

I would guess genetics and habitat. If he mainly moves at night and/or stays in a shady swamp or creek bottom the sun won't bleach out the color as much

Back
Top Bottom