• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The legality of gun flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things...well, actually three.

1) I sold a gun to an ATF guy once. It's been years ago. He rolled up to the meet in a black Crown Vic with a black ATF polo shirt on and everything. He made no indication at all prior to the meet that he was ATF. It was a Rossi .38 as I recall. Anyhow, he never asked to see ID or anything, didn't offer his either. We shook hands and as he was walking back to the car, I asked him if they really did watch the site. He responded with "How do you think I found you?" and laughed.

That's actually funny, I like that.

B) This thread is stupid...and I agree with @KBD431. The market ebbs and flows. I'm so tired of the moaning every time someone gets caught with their pants down. If you bought a Delton AR three years ago for $400 and you just sold it for $850, good for you! Anyone that says "I only deal in pre-covid pricing" is an idiot. Full stop.

You keep saying "the market". This isn't about "the market". It's about ODT. What goes on here is usually vastly different than the actual market. I listed 5 local gun stores, that are NOT doing what is going on here.

III) SirBannedAlot SirBannedAlot , using the term "price gouging" to refer to gun sales goes a long way to proving how little anyone should care about your opinion on the issue. It isn't "gouging" and it never will be. And to your point about "flipping?" How could you possibly know or prove anything about which you're having this "interesting discussion?" You couldn't. At the heart of it, you really just want to bravo and mike about people's prices. You want to Hall Monitor the foxtrot out of the classifieds and show everybody how much you know and how right you are. Reference your faux humility story regarding this mythical 1911 sale you "just" did. You think you're smart than most on the board and you're passive aggression will only hide it from them for so long. GLWTS.

1) Actually, I know a little bit about it, because once someone pointed it out to me, and that person was banned 6 days later, now I am a little more watchful with regards to flipping. Seeing someone buy my gun, after asking for a discount, and then putting it up on ArmsList for 40% or whatever more than my original asking price, annoyed me. Since then, I have been watching more of what's going on and seeing that it's a lot more common than I would have thought.

2) It's not a mythical 1911 Sale. It's right here. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/item-gone-fs-lnib-springfield-1911-milspec-model.2277014/

Additionally, 80% of the guns I have sold here, sold in less than 4 hours. Lately, because I have made a point of listing them at "ODT Pre Covid" prices, have sold in 15 minutes or less. A few came in under the 4 minute mark, telling me I could have asked for a good bit more, but I didn't feel like jacking used guns up over retail was ethical.

You may not like me or my stance, but I do practice what I preach...

Two things...well, actually three.

1) I sold a gun to an ATF guy once. It's been years ago. He rolled up to the meet in a black Crown Vic with a black ATF polo shirt on and everything. He made no indication at all prior to the meet that he was ATF. It was a Rossi .38 as I recall. Anyhow, he never asked to see ID or anything, didn't offer his either. We shook hands and as he was walking back to the car, I asked him if they really did watch the site. He responded with "How do you think I found you?" and laughed..
FAKE NEWS! No bill of sale! EVERYBODY knows (specially the ATFs) that it helps you in court get your gat back. Without it, you are doomed!

You keep saying "the market". This isn't about "the market". It's about ODT. What goes on here is usually vastly different than the actual market. I listed 5 local gun stores, that are NOT doing what is going on here.
So you are one of those "this is a brotherhood" people...gotcha. Maybe 8 years ago...not so much now. And the gun stores can do what the guns stores can do. Neckbeard's gonna neckbeard.

1) Actually, I know a little bit about it, because once someone pointed it out to me, and that person was banned 6 days later, now I am a little more watchful with regards to flipping. Seeing someone buy my gun, after asking for a discount, and then putting it up on ArmsList for 40% or whatever more than my original asking price, annoyed me. Since then, I have been watching more of what's going on and seeing that it's a lot more common than I would have thought.
But you don't....because that's not "price gouging." You're butthurt that somebody flipped your gun....but they didn't "gouge" anybody.

Additionally, 80% of the guns I have sold here, sold in less than 4 hours. Lately, because I have made a point of listing them at "ODT Pre Covid" prices, have sold in 15 minutes or less. A few came in under the 4 minute mark, telling me I could have asked for a good bit more, but I didn't feel like jacking used guns up over retail was ethical.

You may not like me or my stance, but I do practice what I preach...
And that's fine...but continue to do it and you'll continue to be, in your words, "annoyed."

So you are one of those "this is a brotherhood" people...gotcha. Maybe 8 years ago...not so much now. And the gun stores can do what the guns stores can do. Neckbeard's gonna neckbeard.

But you don't....because that's not "price gouging." You're butthurt that somebody flipped your gun....but they didn't "gouge" anybody.

And that's fine...but continue to do it and you'll continue to be, in your words, "annoyed."

Not so much a brotherhood, but you do meet people here... you get to be friendly with some, you trade with them, talk about stuff... in that sense it is a community. And so ripping them off, seems ****ty to me. Just because you can get away with something, doesn't always mean that you should, or that it isn't ****ty to do so...

And I cannot stress this enough, as it is critical to this argument, and it is the one point that so many of you go out of your way to ignore... I am not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to list whatever they want for as much as they want. I think it's lame that we can't comment on it or point it out... To do so, would exert market influences that would help control prices, JUST LIKE THE ACTUAL FREE MARKET DOES.

I understand that's against the rules, I get it...

As for being annoyed that he flipped my gun, yeah. Annoyed at myself for coming down on my price because he said he didn't have the money, when all I really did was help improve his profit margin... lol

Not so much a brotherhood, but you do meet people here... you get to be friendly with some, you trade with them, talk about stuff... in that sense it is a community. And so ripping them off, seems ****ty to me. Just because you can get away with something, doesn't always mean that you should, or that it isn't ****ty to do so...
So you're not a free market capitalist. Got it.

No one is "ripping" anyone "off." If I list an OEM Glock for $800 and somebody buys it, I bet they don't complain when they do. Case in point. I've always wanted a true dissipator. I've had fakes ones before with a carbine gas system and an A2 just bolted on to the front, but I have always wanted a true dissy. One popped up for sale and I snagged it. It had an Anderson lower and a Delton upper...but it was what I wanted and I paid the guy $650 for it. Did I get "ripped off?" It's definitely not a $650 rifle in my eyes, but in this market, I was willing to pay the price. Didn't even haggle with the guy. This all boils down to the point you're about to make for me below.

And I cannot stress this enough, as it is critical to this argument, and it is the one point that so many of you go out of your way to ignore... I am not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to list whatever they want for as much as they want. I think it's lame that we can't comment on it or point it out... To do so, would exert market influences that would help control prices, JUST LIKE THE ACTUAL FREE MARKET DOES.

I understand that's against the rules, I get it...
Aaaaaaand there it is. Like I said in my original response, this has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that you want to play Hall Monitor. As I also said earlier, GLWTS. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom