The legality of gun flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBannedAlot

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
171   0
Reaction score
Continuing a discussion from a "Deals and Steals" post I made...

Several peeps, myself included, made mention of the flippers who buy up guns cheap and sell them here at big markups. Some even going to dealers like GA Gun Store, to buy good deals as the continue to have, and then list them here the same day...

My question, is why is this allowed? At some point, you can't claim to just be a fickle enthusiast, when you are doing a dozen or more deals a week... especially if you are filling out 4473's and then putting them up for sale here within 24 hours?

I asked the question, why not report those people that are clearly skirting the laws and using this forum to be an unlicensed dealer? I was met with some opposition to that notion, despite me being on the fence about it and just thinking out loud...

If we ban people for making a gay joke, or cursing, or calling someone out... why would we tolerate what is most likely illegal activity? I made the point that if we don't clean the place up ourselves, at some point some agency will, and their cleanup will be a lot more painful to the rest of us than if we did it ourselves.

Thoughts on that? Is it just the "cost of doing business" and we live with it? Is there a limit or threshold where we as a group would consider it a problem and take action?

Genuine conversation. Discuss.

I am not sure the site needs to be responsible for unresposible people. They are taking the risk of flipping firearms and it will likely catch up with them. The guy flipping the GP100 for $100 more than he paid for it a day earlier just goes on my ignore list. He may have a ligitimate reason, but I care not to deal with folks like that.

I know a guy that was tipped off to the feds about this from the gun store and yes they arrested him and put him in federal prison... when you involve the 4473 & you are flipping guns... I def think you are running a risk of getting popped
IF someone can prove in court that the intended owner is not the person filling out the 4473, then yes there could be a crime to prosecute.

To be clear, I am discussing those people who are genuine flippers. Not people who are like me and have the attention of a fruit fly, buy something, shoot it a few times and decide you don't like it and sell it at a loss several months later... Or impulse buys that once a year you clean out the safe and take some of those impulse buys that you never ended up shooting, and trade or sell them for something else...

That's why many of us are here, to be able to do that...

I mean the people buying low to immediately sell high, some even buying from dealers to do so... for the express purpose of making money... It's like a side job to them...

That's the part that I hate, and I think it is related to the whining of some people(ok, ME) about insane prices... because it seems like these inflated prices are encouraging MORE of this... because they feel there is more money to be made...

I don't know how to get rid of it, but I also can't see how this has any positive impact on ODT. There is zero benefit, and only potential liability... Am I making sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom