• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Jake Belt - Tommy Theis

user 71

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
92   0
Reaction score
Here is a quick review of the Jake Belt that I won in the ODT Giveaway. I have been wearing this belt just about everyday since I received it.

After winning this belt, I was contacted by Tommy who asked for my preferred size and color. I decided on the brown (I have more brown shoes than black) and a 38" to fit my 34" waist. This was the perfect size as I have three belt holes on either side of the one needed to fit. This should give a wide ranging fit should I lose or - more likely - gain weight. (Sweetwater beer - why do I like you so much?)

Anyway, two weeks after arranging the details, a small box arrived at my doorstep. Removing the belt - the first thing I noticed was the smell of the fine leather. The scent was reminiscent of when I was kid and would go horseback riding. I am not sure if this is saddle leather or not, but it does have that wonderful smell. The belt's width is pretty substantial - I would estimate close to two inches. This can make it a bit difficult getting through smaller belt loops if your brand of pant comes standard with those. As for me - I say get rid of the pants and not the belt. This is definitely a manly belt and needs some "man pants" to compliment. The buckle is also a nice shiny silver. It's nothing fancy, but it is durable and appropriate for its intended use.

The thickness is also substantial and the belt - at first - does not bend around your waist too easily. This is a good thing, since this belt was built for a specific purpose - to keep your weapon in place. Sadly, I do not yet have my GA carry permit yet, so I cannot attest to its use in that regard. However, I did have an opportunity to test it with a shotgun shell pouch while shooting skeet. This belt held the weight of the pouch filled with three boxes of 12 gauge without budging! Almost every other belt I've used sags to the weight - including my ex-favorite - the Orvis shotgun brass belt. That belt now sits in my drawer. I cannot wait until dove season begins when I can really put this belt through the paces "out in the field."

Sadly, I could not find the review on TruthAboutGuns.com where they raved over this belt for CCW, but I did see this posting on another blog giving a brief review on its suitability for that use:

http://monderno.com/gear-reviews/theis-holsters-jake-belt/

His holsters have also been featured on a number of other firearms blogs, most notably (for me) on Master Class Chronicles.

If you are in the market for a belt to help you manage your EDC - or if you're just looking for something durable and stylish, do not hesitate to purchase from Tommy. He's a very nice fellow, and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

His website is here - for holsters and belts:

http://theisholsters.com/index.php

Back
Top Bottom