• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Guitar photo thread!

And while we're at it, which music stores around town does everyone shop? Online stores as well...I've never bought much musical gear online, so I can't say who is great, or not. Sweetwater got it right with their 55 point inspection of the Squier Strat I bought a little while back, but that is the only instrument I have ever purchased online. I would not buy an acoustic guitar online.

Local stores? They aren't what they once were, IMO.

I still buy from Ken Stanton more than anyone else. They are family owned and have been a good source for Atlanta since 1949. I don't care for Guitar Center, but Sam Ash just inside the perimeter on Cobb Pkwy is not bad at all. We had 3 very decent family owned stores, all within 5 miles of me just a few years ago, but one has closed and the other 2 have gone downhill. I won't name names...Maple Street downtown has some really nice boutique guitars, along with the more popular stuff. If you were looking for a serious high end acoustic, or electric, they would be a must for a local look around. Atlanta Vintage in Canton usually has some nice pieces. Midtown music had some of the best vintage stuff anywhere, but unfortunately closed their doors a while back. I believe their location hurt them. Music Go Round is a store that I like, when I can make it up that way. They have all types of used gear, in every price range. It is a good source for the working musician.

The local mom and pop shops are dwindling, and I hate to see it. Corporate is pushing them out, yet corporate is suffering too, especially GC, and though I am not a fan, GC's demise would be bad for everyone involved in music no matter the level of involvement. JMO. The GC off North Druid Hills Rd is still a nice store, to be sure...

Does anyone have local shop recommendations?

Looks like Rory Gallagher's axe. I'll bet that mother plays great!
It’s actually an SRV #1 tribute. When I got it, I put the pearloid pickhaurd on it to make it look different than the normal replicas. But yes, it plays wonderful and sounds fantastic!

Reactions: MRH
And while we're at it, which music stores around town does everyone shop? Online stores as well...I've never bought much musical gear online, so I can't say who is great, or not. Sweetwater got it right with their 55 point inspection of the Squier Strat I bought a little while back, but that is the only instrument I have ever purchased online. I would not buy an acoustic guitar online.

Local stores? They aren't what they once were, IMO.

I still buy from Ken Stanton more than anyone else. They are family owned and have been a good source for Atlanta since 1949. I don't care for Guitar Center, but Sam Ash just inside the perimeter on Cobb Pkwy is not bad at all. We had 3 very decent family owned stores, all within 5 miles of me just a few years ago, but one has closed and the other 2 have gone downhill. I won't name names...Maple Street downtown has some really nice boutique guitars, along with the more popular stuff. If you were looking for a serious high end acoustic, or electric, they would be a must for a local look around. Atlanta Vintage in Canton usually has some nice pieces. Midtown music had some of the best vintage stuff anywhere, but unfortunately closed their doors a while back. I believe their location hurt them. Music Go Round is a store that I like, when I can make it up that way. They have all types of used gear, in every price range. It is a good source for the working musician.

The local mom and pop shops are dwindling, and I hate to see it. Corporate is pushing them out, yet corporate is suffering too, especially GC, and though I am not a fan, GC's demise would be bad for everyone involved in music no matter the level of involvement. JMO. The GC off North Druid Hills Rd is still a nice store, to be sure...

Does anyone have local shop recommendations?
Listerally just bought all new drum heads from Ken Stanton today and bought stuff all over Atlanta and TN. As you said, Atlanta Vintage Guitars is about it. I LOVED Midtown music and actually had a 76’ bicentennial Firebird from them and my dad had a 76’ LE Explorer too but also as you said, they closed down. Was my favorite store of all time. Funny story, that 76’ Explorer was lost in their shop for 14 years until cleaning their racks out and found it under a shelf all those years later.

I really just randomly pop into pawn shops these days to see if something good is in there, but 99% of the time, anything decent is WAY too much.

I know you said GC is not for you, but the I85 location downtown normally has quite a few guitars in their Diamond Room, but they are normally full retail +.

Listerally just bought all new drum heads from Ken Stanton today and bought stuff all over Atlanta and TN. As you said, Atlanta Vintage Guitars is about it. I LOVED Midtown music and actually had a 76’ bicentennial Firebird from them and my dad had a 76’ LE Explorer too but also as you said, they closed down. Was my favorite store of all time. Funny story, that 76’ Explorer was lost in their shop for 14 years until cleaning their racks out and found it under a shelf all those years later.

I really just randomly pop into pawn shops these days to see if something good is in there, but 99% of the time, anything decent is WAY too much.

I know you said GC is not for you, but the I85 location downtown normally has quite a few guitars in their Diamond Room, but they are normally full retail +.

Yes Midtown was the spot.

The North Druid Hills location (beside I-85) is the one GC I recommended. Coincidentally, Music Midtown was right down the road.

Funny story about the Firebird. Those are cool guitars, along with the Explorer.

I have a friend who has been playing all over Ga and Tn here lately and he also recommended pawn shops around the state lines. He says Chattanooga has a lot of good stuff. Pawn shops have gotten silly with their prices. I realize they will usually haggle, but I get tired of haggling very quickly. Unless it is a stupid good deal, I hardly waste my time with those guys anymore. There are still some good deals to be found, though, so I do browse the pawn shops. LOL

I'm on the other side of the fence with Ken Stanton guys.
I don't much care for their product line or their prices.

I still love whats left of the idea of the mom and pop shops.
I grew up with them and still try to support them when I find a good one.
the problem is the big box stores companies like Gibson have
worked it to where the M&P shops cant afford the demands put on them
from companies like Gibson. crazy demands from **** companies.

I'm on the other side of the fence with Ken Stanton guys.
I don't much care for their product line or their prices.

I still love whats left of the idea of the mom and pop shops.
I grew up with them and still try to support them when I find a good one.
the problem is the big box stores companies like Gibson have
worked it to where the M&P shops cant afford the demands put on them
from companies like Gibson. crazy demands from **** companies.

Both Gibson and Fender require a very high amount floor plans which most smaller stores cannot afford. Also, you don’t order what you want, they send you what they want to which is a HUGE no thanks.

Ken Stanton’s prices are probably 5-15% more, but will price match and most, but not all of the time, at least have a clue what they are talking about, especially in the prop audio section.

The mouth breathers at Guitar Center, especially the new Kennesaw location don’t even seem to understand half of what they sell. Only the one off I85 have a slight clue, but not many of them are left there either.

Wallace,

I agree 100% but there is a small catch here.
ya gotta know who your dealing with at the stores.

I try to develop good relationships with the guys
at GC who actually know their shiot.
a little work from the customer and these folks are easy to pick out.
they switch locations, I switch locations. its that simple.
as I get to know my "new best pal" he/she gets to know me too.
soon we develop a great relationship. I know they know their stuff and they
find out the same about me too. cutting through the bull shiot is what I call it.
it works wonders let me tell you. I get calls as stuff comes through the door
long before it hits the racks.

now in looking for the best knowledge sells staff I too realize I have to be
a good customer too though.
example:
I gotta know what I'm talking about. have a good knowledge of the gear I'm seeking,
don't try haggling on everything I buy, and show them some respect in return I too get respected.
repeat business to the same sells person goes a long way.
oh on the haggling part, the price drop you get when haggling comes straight out of the sells persons
commission by the way. so yeah if every time I see a "customer" and they want to haggle on everything
(get a piece of my paycheck) I would avoid that customer too. hard enough to make a buck out here as it is right lol.

not saying any of this applies to you as I don't know you. just adding to your post comments
just above here.

funny thing, I had a fender half stack on here for weeks.
nobody interested and it was going cheep. what I didn't tell folks
was that amp was designed and built by Paul Rivera (Rivera era amplifiers)
and one of the last amps out of the Fullerton plant. but I sold it to a shop
where the guy knew what he was looking at and gladly gave me exactly what
I was asking for it. it went CHEAP too. lol

Wallace,

I agree 100% but there is a small catch here.
ya gotta know who your dealing with at the stores.

I try to develop good relationships with the guys
at GC who actually know their shiot.
a little work from the customer and these folks are easy to pick out.
they switch locations, I switch locations. its that simple.
as I get to know my "new best pal" he/she gets to know me too.
soon we develop a great relationship. I know they know their stuff and they
find out the same about me too. cutting through the bull shiot is what I call it.
it works wonders let me tell you. I get calls as stuff comes through the door
long before it hits the racks.

now in looking for the best knowledge sells staff I too realize I have to be
a good customer too though.
example:
I gotta know what I'm talking about. have a good knowledge of the gear I'm seeking,
don't try haggling on everything I buy, and show them some respect in return I too get respected.
repeat business to the same sells person goes a long way.
oh on the haggling part, the price drop you get when haggling comes straight out of the sells persons
commission by the way. so yeah if every time I see a "customer" and they want to haggle on everything
(get a piece of my paycheck) I would avoid that customer too. hard enough to make a buck out here as it is right lol.

not saying any of this applies to you as I don't know you. just adding to your post comments
just above here.

funny thing, I had a fender half stack on here for weeks.
nobody interested and it was going cheep. what I didn't tell folks
was that amp was designed and built by Paul Rivera (Rivera era amplifiers)
and one of the last amps out of the Fullerton plant. but I sold it to a shop
where the guy knew what he was looking at and gladly gave me exactly what
I was asking for it. it went CHEAP too. lol
I had a few "buds" at both GC's ate one time, but they left, and I got tired of trying find someone I liked, so I just stopped trying. I just research my own stuff 100% now, or ask the couple of guys at KenStanton or my other gear nerd buddy if I cannot find what I need online.

I saw that amp you had. Just not a solid state guy. I have seen way to many fail on stage and do not like their tone cranked much.

this one didn't have ANY tone loss from .5 to 10 lol. none.
not much for solid state my self but BB King and Eric Clapton
sure loved them. this amp was a very different animal.
nothing like the combo's of the same line. PR tried to take fender
in the right direction but they wouldn't listen.
now we see where fender ranks today in the current amp world lol.

Back
Top Bottom