• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"The Forgotten Battle"

WildMan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
102   0
Reaction score
Not really sure how forgotten this battle is. Same one as "A Bridge Too Far", but it's about events leading up to it as well. The preview was good, but the cover art made it look like "Pearl Harbor". Fortunately it's nothing like that piece of crap.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through and it's definitely good. But it is 2hrs long, like a lot of movies these days.

It's on Netflix and worth a watch, even if you have to split the viewing.

I watched it. Pretty good battle scenes. Plenty of No1 MkIIIs, stens, Brens, 98ks and MG42s.

Oh and a panzerfaust. I liked the Glider sequence. damn those guys had guts.

I think the forgotten part is the Brits took Antwerp but forgot to secure the river entrance!

The forgotten part wasn't about Arnhem, it was the Canadian battle for the estuary leading to Antwerp. Although Antwerp had been taken it was useless as long as Germany still controlled the Scheldt estuary itself. The allies were also starting to hit severe logistical challenges at that point in the invasion as it simply wasn't viable to supply the forces over the Normandy beaches and the couple small ports that were still functional. They really needed a legitimate, large, deep water port.....Antwerp......and that required the Scheldt. Battles over logistical supply lines tend to not play big in the history books, even though logistics and manufacturing base were what really won the war for the allies, in my opinion.

Decent movie, I watched it last night.

I watched it. Pretty good battle scenes. Plenty of No1 MkIIIs, stens, Brens, 98ks and MG42s.

Oh and a panzerfaust. I liked the Glider sequence. damn those guys had guts.

I think the forgotten part is the Brits took Antwerp but forgot to secure the river entrance!
My grandfather was a glider troop, he didn't recommend it as a flight method.

My grandfather was a glider troop, he didn't recommend it as a flight method.
Respect.

1634432814633.png

Back
Top Bottom