• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Birth of an Onyx Part II (bolt truing)

magna750

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
58   0
Reaction score
This is part II in my series that shows how one of our Onyx rifles is built.

In this installment I show how the bolt is trued.

LaBounty Bolt Fixture and Rem 700 bolt from Part I
P1060265 (Large).jpg

Bolt prior to truing. This particular bolt was only making contact on one side of the locking lugs. Not good!
P1060267 (Large).JPG

Bolt fixture has been indicated in and bolt is in place ready for adjustment.
P1060269 (Large).JPG

Rear locking lugs after truing. These were quite a bit out of true. Notice nice smooth surfaces.
P1060273 (Large).JPG

P1060274 (Large).jpg

Front of locking lugs have also been trued. The front lip of the face has been taken care of. The bolt face on this bolt was square and didn't require and adjustment. Some do, some don't.
P1060275 (Large).JPG

In Part III we will true the receiver. Stay Tuned!

Cool I'll be interested to see how you do it. Being much more familiar with a different platform and simplicity is why I prefer a floating bolthead design, Is there any advantage to the solid design of the 700 over a floating design? I'm just an inclined kitchen table tinker but not above learning new tricks.

Last edited:
Cool I'll be interested to see how you do it. Being much more familiar with a different platform and simplicity is why I prefer a floating bolthead design, Is there any advantage to the solid design of the 700 over a floating design? I'm just an inclined kitchen table tinker but not above learning new tricks.

Well, in a lot of ways the Savage floating head design is a superior design. The implied advantage the Rem 700 has is that it is all completely fixed and once it is set up, it stays that way. Not to say at all that the Savage system moves out of alignment or anything, because in my experience it does not.

The one main thing the 700 has going for it is industry wide acceptance as the platform of choice (for better or worse) and a huge number of tweaks have been developed to wring every last bit of performance out of it. I know when I am working on one, I am doing my best to use every trick I know to get little tiny groups on paper.

We have toyed with the idea of experimenting with the Savage platform for a new product line of rifles, but that's all we have done so far with them. Maybe someday...

If you like the floating has design of the savage actions but the footprint of remington look at the Bighorn actions.

Very interesting. That looks to be a quality piece of hardware! Currently we use Surgeon Rifles actions on our top of the line guns, but I may have to order up a Bighorn Tactical action and give it a try.

Thanks for sharing your insight. I understand the Remmy reputation and why as a buisness someone would build what sells. I look forward to part 3.

Very interesting. That looks to be a quality piece of hardware! Currently we use Surgeon Rifles actions on our top of the line guns, but I may have to order up a Bighorn Tactical action and give it a try.

The snipershide 2013 rifle is being built on the Bighorn action if that says anything to you about them.

Thanks for sharing your insight. I understand the Remmy reputation and why as a buisness someone would build what sells. I look forward to part 3.

My pleasure!

- - - Updated - - -

The snipershide 2013 rifle is being built on the Bighorn action if that says anything to you about them.

That tells me that it must be worth looking into!

Back
Top Bottom