• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tesla Quotes Owner $16,000 Estimate for a $700 Fix

Stampede

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Just my rifle, my pony and me.
53   0
Reaction score
Another reason to not own a Tesla......and it get worse according to the story.

A Tesla Model 3 leasee discovered this first-hand after hitting road debris and damaging his battery pack. After taking his vehicle to a Tesla service center, he was handed an estimate for more than $16,000 to replace the pack. After seeking an alternative solution online, the owner reached out to Electrified Garage who got him on the road again for just $700.

To add insult to injury, the owner of the car mentions that Tesla was originally planning to keep the Model 3's damaged battery pack. That was until he referenced a consumer protection act provision put in place by New Jersey which prevents automotive service facilities from refusing to return a replacement part under most conditions when requested by a customer—most notably when the replacement part isn't sold as an exchange (with a core charge).

Normally, this is where we would ask Tesla about this, but since it dissolved its public relations department, there's nobody to officially comment.

Tesla's Legal page has an "Unsupported or Salvage Vehicle Policy" which covers salvaged vehicles as a whole, whether or not the reason for being salvaged is related to the high voltage battery pack. Specifically, it states that Tesla will permanently disable access to its Supercharging network for any unsupported repairs to protect its own vehicles and its repair technicians. Tesla also reportedly decided to disable fast charging using third-party chargers under the same reasoning last year.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41493/teslas-16000-quote-for-a-700-fix-is-why-right-to-repair-matters

upload_2021-7-13_11-35-58.png

The few Tesla owners I know would pay the $16k to fix it and then tell everyone how much it cost and how much it saved the environment. :thumb:
I was going to post how I thought overpaying for a Tesla repair would be some sort of seriously weird greenie/financial flex.

Back
Top Bottom