• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Termite guy?

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
230   0
Reaction score
We get swarmed every year by these winged beasts. They seem very weak, and die quickly once in our house. I've got termidor applied in the soil on the side they come in.

The wife is worried because this year seems worse than the past. She swept them up yesterday just inside our door and said there were a TON.

The concern is because the house has a history of some termites that were mitigated before we moved in. I checked that wood (non structural wood) and found no sign of active infestation.

Does anyone here do this for a living? I want to put her mind at ease.

Thanks

This is the time of year they swarm, if you have a termite treatment you should be good. I see it every year about this time. They generally are around the pool area and once they hit the concrete they die and you see wasp and salamanders eating them. At least I do.

We use northwest. If they are swarming make sure you are checking everything well. They can't live outside for very long so they are in something close by. The over the counter stuff doesn't work nearly as well as a treatment from a company

This is the time of year they swarm, if you have a termite treatment you should be good. I see it every year about this time. They generally are around the pool area and once they hit the concrete they die and you see wasp and salamanders eating them. At least I do.
I did termidor the yard, the pain in the ass proper way too! So hopefully I'm good. The house was also previously chemically treated professionally for them a few years back.

I believe there is a colony in the woods... We have a very small wooded strip nearby. Of course I'm sure this was all woods before they developed the subdivision!

It seems like they try to get to the kitchen sink, but then die. There is no water leak, so I don't think they could survive in the house without visible tunneling to the outside, right?

All they need is a tunnel that goes to the ground. This can be hidden inside walls, inside brick foundations, behind brick veneer, behind siding, etc, etc, etc. All depending on what type of foundation your home has.

It takes a trained eye to find them. Don't trust the guys at the pest control company to be well trained or experienced. I've seen some real horror stories back when I was a termite tech. One was a tunnel/colony that went through the wall up to the attic around a chimney. The home had been inspected/cleared just a few months before I found the ridiculous problem.

They need moisture to live. Outside the tunnel they have a very limited time to find soil/moisture. If swarmers are inside your home then there is a colony under your home.

Back
Top Bottom