• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tent sleeping bags pads questions

Reloadhby

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
231   0
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a 2-4 person tent more likely a 2 person. Its been years since I camped so I am not really sure what brands to go with. Also back when I camped I just used a roll up pad and a regular sleeping bag.

I mainly will use this if going to a cap ground or on a hunting property or fishing. Any recommendations would be very helpful, vers me just going to a tent site and ordering whats a good deal.

Aslo if some one has some stuff to let go let me know but mainly looking for advise.

I just bought a couple of North Face Stormbreak tents and really like them. We have a 2 person and a 3 person. We use them for hiking and while they are not the lightest thing on the market, they are holding up well.

As for a sleeping pad, I stick with ThermaRest. I have a self inflating model that works well, but the new blow up air mattresses are super nice and compact. I still use an old Z-rest that works well too, plus it’s cheap.

For a bag, it all depends on how cold you plan on it being. I have a synthetic fill North Face Cats Meow 20 that is great for colder weather, but my go to is their Furnace 35 model for warmer nights. My wife has a Marmot that she likes but I forget the model.

I have a Sierra design low profile 3 person that has stood up well to high winds and rain. Be sure to use a good ground cloth, I use a sheet of Tyvek. As for sleeping pad a NEMO Cosmo 3D Sleeping Pad works great.

Make sure you get a tent with a bathtub bottom and a footprint that matches the tent. The cheap $20 ones usually deliver exactly what you pay for. Check Backcountry or REI and read the reviews. I have a 4 person Coleman that’s great for the back yard but I shoudla spent an extra $50 and got a nicer tent.

Thermarest pads are great. The z-fold ones are cheap and easy. The inflatable ones will eventually develop a hole no matter how fancy they are.

A cheap alternative is a hammock/cover and mosquito net. Super light and easy as long as its not raining.

Coleman tents are good. Always use a ground cloth and a rain fly - no matter what the weather forecast is. I use Intex inflatable beds. I bought a 500 watt power inverter to use when power is not available. Buy a bigger tent than you think you need. It will become cramped with gear. All of this assumes you can drive to your spot. If you are humping gear then take others advice.

Back
Top Bottom