• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tent Heating Devices!

Well... there are a couple of short term methods. Heating water bottles and putting them in the tent is a good easy way, but it will eventually get cold again.

Another more labor intensive method is a modified dakota fire hole.
Basically you dig a fire pit, and a trench a little longer than your tent. Take flat rocks and place them over the trench, and then put the dirt back over it. And then set up the tent. The Dakota fire hole works much like a rocket stove. Hot air will be pulled through the tunnel you've created. The rocks will retain heat very well, be sure to cover them with dirt as insulation. They can get pretty toasty. Hope this helps...

NOTE: Be sure to leave some distance between the tent and fire, and if you don't want the tent to smell like smoke put the "chimney" ,portion of the dakota fire hole a bit further from the tent.

You can save yourself some time, by bringing large diameter metal pipe thats the correct length for your tent, then you use the pipe in place of the flat rocks. But burry it in the trench just the same. 4 inch sprinkler pipe works well.
This way you're not searching for and hauling flat rocks around.

Kifaru or Seek Outside tents/tarps are the way to go. Get a proper tent with stove jack and one of their stoves. I had a Kifaru ParaTipi with small stove and it worked great for a single person. Lightweight, packed up small, and fit in a backpack (stove and all).

I sold it awhile back and am now trying to figure out what model I want (need bigger). I will probably go with something from Seek Outside since they offer more options now.
ParaTipi 012 (2).jpg
ParaTipi 004 (2).jpg
ParaTipi 009 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom