• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tapping

I thought tapping meant a Chrysler was running good?

Sounds like something is plugged up somewhere. Whether it be your sump or drainbacks. Pull the pan if you can and start there. Pull a valve cover and check drainbacks if you cant pull the pan just to rule that out.

If you regain oil pressure at any time, then the pump is not the culprit.

Had an old Dodge Ramcharger that did this, looked like chunks of metal in the screen. Ran fine then suddenly the pressure would drop, crank it back up and would be fine again till it wasn't.
I check the oil with a magnet when I changed it, no metal in it. It just sporadically drops pressure and taps then the pressure goes back up and the tapping stops

I watched a video on youtube from Project Farm. He did a side by side comparison of Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam. They're equally effective. The tapping has become less, still there, and not as often. I'm hoping the pick up screen was just clogged. I keep it maintained but I've been reading that other 4.7's from the same era have this problem

I check the oil with a magnet when I changed it, no metal in it. It just sporadically drops pressure and taps then the pressure goes back up and the tapping stops

I should have explained better, LOOKED like it was full of metal, in reality it was chunks of hard carbon that the engine had formed. The oil pan had quite a few and the sump was full, as the engine rpm's increased it sucked enough up to block the flow of oil.

That sounds like what might be going on. Just put it in the shop last night to get a new front suspension, shocks, brakes, etc.., when I get it back I'm going to flush the oil again and refill with full synthetic to see if that helps

Not sure if they can but I'd ask if they could pull the oil pan while the front end is dissembled. May be an easy job while the front end is pulled apart.

Back
Top Bottom