• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tapping

ChimChim

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Banned Permanently
14   0
Reaction score
My engine has begun to lose oil pressure temporarily. When the pressure drops the engine starts tapping. I poured a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crank case and it worked for about a month but it's beginning to do it again
It's an old 2000 Durango 4x4 4.7 with 192K miles. I've been told the pick up screen could be clogged. I'm no mechanic so any advice would be helpful
No, I'm not going to shoot it, my wife won't let me

More than likely the engine is sludged and plugging the pick up tube. You could drop the pan, clean the pan and pick up tube but then if there is any sludge on the top end it will happen again eventually. The best bet is to remove intake and valve covers and clean the top end thoroughly then remove the oil pan and do the same.

Reactions: MRM
Hydrolic lifters would be my first guess.
Lucas top end snake oil works better than marvel mystery oil.

Marvel mystery will unstick a valve but not quieten it down like the lucas and the lucas cleans sludge better.

You may want to run about 6 ounces of seafoam in oil for a few hundred to clean engine also.

Hydrolic lifters would be my first guess.
Lucas top end snake oil works better than marvel mystery oil.

Marvel mystery will unstick a valve but not quieten it down like the lucas and the lucas cleans sludge better.

You may want to run about 6 ounces of seafoam in oil for a few hundred to clean engine also.

Sea foam is a miracle worker when used properly.
May also try flushing the engine , drain and repeat.

Back
Top Bottom