• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Supreme Court punts on major gun rights case

I believe [God forbid] if Biden is elected and Dems get the Senate, RBG will finally retire and Hillary, Eric Holder or Kamala Harris [if not VP] will take her place.
Wish I knew how to post it.. but last yr I saw a segment on a news show where they accidentally ran a piece on RBG passing away.. they cut to commercial real quick and came and apologized for running the piece.. said it was an accident.. had her picture and date of birth and date of death.. even announced it.. when they came back from break all 3 had the look of death on their faces

It would be nice if RBG were to go, but the Thomas should go ahead and retire. He is the longest serving justice, and he isn't getting any younger.

He would do the country a real service to retire and get someone 30 years younger in his seat.
You are not right. He needs to stay! RGB needs to RETIRE long ago, and a couple of others...

Y’all do realize that the SCOTUS kicked this out as irrelevant because the NY State Supreme Court already ruled tha the law was unconstitutional. So pushing this to SCOTUS was a waste of time.

Wish I knew how to post it.. but last yr I saw a segment on a news show where they accidentally ran a piece on RBG passing away.. they cut to commercial real quick and came and apologized for running the piece.. said it was an accident.. had her picture and date of birth and date of death.. even announced it.. when they came back from break all 3 had the look of death on their faces
Seems like I vaguely remember that. Thanks for jogging the old memory.

Y’all do realize that the SCOTUS kicked this out as irrelevant because the NY State Supreme Court already ruled tha the law was unconstitutional. So pushing this to SCOTUS was a waste of time.

Funny how they never said a word until it looked like SCOTUS would actually hear it...

However the key here was that if SCOTUS heard it and came up with a good decision, the result would be national, not just in NY.

It's like how Heller originally only applied to Washington DC until the follow-up MacDonald case where it was extended to the states (in that case IL).

Funny how they never said a word until it looked like SCOTUS would actually hear it...

However the key here was that if SCOTUS heard it and came up with a good decision, the result would be national, not just in NY.

It's like how Heller originally only applied to Washington DC until the follow-up MacDonald case where it was extended to the states (in that case IL).
No Heller did count for the rest of the US, but Chicago attempted to say their law was different.

Heller was specifically about the gun control laws in DC. But because DC is a federal enclave, there was a question on whether states had to abide by it, or if it only applied to federal districts.

As you say, IL tried to argue that it didn't apply to them, and the McDonald case based in that state went up the food chain. SCOTUS ruled that it did apply to states as well, which is what really gave Heller its central role today.

Back
Top Bottom