• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressor Rookie! Advice Needed To Avoid Blowing up my guns!

paliknight

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
2   0
Reaction score
So I finally got my first two suppressors out of jail and have no idea what I need to get them running.

SiCo Chimera for my DD5 V1 (.308) and my SCAR 17

Octane 45HD for my FNX 45T and Glock 19 and Glock 19X (also need threaded barrels for these two!)

I believe the Chimera came with a Muzzle Break

Never messed with suppressors. School me please. Where do I start? Looking for the simplest and most reliable methods. (Prefer direct thread since I’ve read its more reliable, but if not...)

For you octane you will need to run the correct sized piston 1/2(9mm) and 5/8(45acp). Watch the video. Anything with a fixed barrel, like an AR9, you will need either a fixed barrel spacer or mount.

Like you I am not very experienced with suppressors. I got a Sico 46 and another dedicated can. Sico 46 I direct thread to my Colt Commando SBR. I've heard some mounts are unreliable so I can see where you are coming from. I just direct thread because I am a simple kind of guy, I never really take it off. I like the simplicity of direct thread, I just hate it when it starts to back off. I check after every other mag. I had a SCAR and been in a lot of the SCARgroups and gone to two SCARfests. A lot of guys run SCARS suppressed with QD mounts. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just make sure you get a guide rod and make sure everything is aligned so you don't get a baffle strike. I have yet to see any reports of guys sending their cans down range because of a baffle strike on a SCAR but just be safe and make sure its on right.

You won't need to worry about mounts on the pistols. Your Octane should of came with a piston housing. (my sico did) You will need to buy the actual piston which fits in it. This will allow the slide to reciprocate properly with the can mounted to it.

For you octane you will need to run the correct sized piston 1/2(9mm) and 5/8(45acp). Watch the video. Anything with a fixed barrel, like an AR9, you will need either a fixed barrel spacer or mount.

I saw the video. I understand more now how a suppressor operates and how the piston operates, but are any pistons better than others or just get a silencerco piston in each respective size?

Like you I am not very experienced with suppressors. I got a Sico 46 and another dedicated can. Sico 46 I direct thread to my Colt Commando SBR. I've heard some mounts are unreliable so I can see where you are coming from. I just direct thread because I am a simple kind of guy, I never really take it off. I like the simplicity of direct thread, I just hate it when it starts to back off. I check after every other mag. I had a SCAR and been in a lot of the SCARgroups and gone to two SCARfests. A lot of guys run SCARS suppressed with QD mounts. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just make sure you get a guide rod and make sure everything is aligned so you don't get a baffle strike. I have yet to see any reports of guys sending their cans down range because of a baffle strike on a SCAR but just be safe and make sure its on right.

You won't need to worry about mounts on the pistols. Your Octane should of came with a piston housing. (my sico did) You will need to buy the actual piston which fits in it. This will allow the slide to reciprocate properly with the can mounted to it.
Even if i swap from the scar to my DD, if i have the appropriate muzzle device on each rifle, its just a matter of screwing it on/off of one rifle and onto the other, right? I think my chimera came with an asr muzzle break, but I’m not sure of the specs on it nor what to do with it exactly. Never performed any type of gunsmithing.

Yeah my octane did come with it. I was just surprised it didnt come with a piston until i did some research and realized thats normal lol. Any specific pistons to get? Are the pistons universal as long as they are for the appropriate caliber?

Yes you can switch in between the two as long as you use an ASR mount on both DD and SCAR 17. The threads for both mounts should be the same because it is the same caliber. Because I am very particular with my rifles and how things are setup I prefer to get it professionally done. I am no gunsmith myself. Bolt on items on a 22 sure lol, but a mount on a high caliber rifle I would say you need to get it in a good vise and torque it to factory-recommended specs. If you don't have the tools, just go to a smith and get it done right. Ease of mind. Set it and forget it. Go to a trustworthy FFL or gunsmith (asks for references here). Attaching the suppressor to the mount is EZ.

And yes, for some reason Sico sends you the housing and not the actual piston and makes you send $$ more money but who is not going to do it? Pistons are pistol specific. There is no universal piston.

I found a piston fit guide for you, see the link below. Look to the right of the chart and decide what pistol you will suppress, look to the left and you will see the size piston you need.

Here is a helpful tip and it may save you money depending if you are willing to catch the sales: There is a brand call Blackhawk that is rebranded Sico stuff. Sometimes you can catch their pistons on sale. I'm talking about 20 something bucks vs. 85 bucks. Again, it is Sico made but just rebranded so you are safe.

Good luck man, don't overthink it. Shooting suppress should be fun not complicated.

https://silencerco.com/media/contentmanager/content/piston-fitguide_1.pdf

Yes you can switch in between the two as long as you use an ASR mount on both DD and SCAR 17. The threads for both mounts should be the same because it is the same caliber. Because I am very particular with my rifles and how things are setup I prefer to get it professionally done. I am no gunsmith myself. Bolt on items on a 22 sure lol, but a mount on a high caliber rifle I would say you need to get it in a good vise and torque it to factory-recommended specs. If you don't have the tools, just go to a smith and get it done right. Ease of mind. Set it and forget it. Go to a trustworthy FFL or gunsmith (asks for references here). Attaching the suppressor to the mount is EZ.

And yes, for some reason Sico sends you the housing and not the actual piston and makes you send $$ more money but who is not going to do it? Pistons are pistol specific. There is no universal piston.

I found a piston fit guide for you, see the link below. Look to the right of the chart and decide what pistol you will suppress, look to the left and you will see the size piston you need.

Here is a helpful tip and it may save you money depending if you are willing to catch the sales: There is a brand call Blackhawk that is rebranded Sico stuff. Sometimes you can catch their pistons on sale. I'm talking about 20 something bucks vs. 85 bucks. Again, it is Sico made but just rebranded so you are safe.

Good luck man, don't overthink it. Shooting suppress should be fun not complicated.

https://silencerco.com/media/contentmanager/content/piston-fitguide_1.pdf
Thank you very much. That was really good information. Ill probably end up at a local reputable expert to prep my rifles for me and walk me thru everything. I moved to Austin though so Ill have to do some local research.

That is a great document. Checking it out now to see what I should order.

Never seen someone with no suppressor history buy the cans first then ask for help. I run a SiCo Omega on my SCAR 17S, never any problems with the ASR mount. I use muzzle brake over flash hider just my preference. Your usual pistol threads are RH twist for the most part. Some companies use metric threads or LH twist. Just check the thread protector to see the thread on threaded barrels. If you can't find Silencerco pistons for your Octane Rugged Obsidian pistons are compatible for your Octane.

Never seen someone with no suppressor history buy the cans first then ask for help. I run a SiCo Omega on my SCAR 17S, never any problems with the ASR mount. I use muzzle brake over flash hider just my preference. Your usual pistol threads are RH twist for the most part. Some companies use metric threads or LH twist. Just check the thread protector to see the thread on threaded barrels. If you can't find Silencerco pistons for your Octane Rugged Obsidian pistons are compatible for your Octane.
SiCo BOGO deal a year or two ago. I forgot. Had to act quick lol.

I’m familiar with suppressors, just not the technical part. Thank you for the advice. Ill look into that.

Best advice I can give you is to check and make sure the can lines up with the barrel. After that I would say make sure you do not switch guns after the can has heated up. Burn the crap out of your hand. Trust me!!! I think their is still skin burning off of my can and it has been years. You will be without finger prints for a month.

Back
Top Bottom