• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressor for 5.56

Wanting to buy my first suppressor. Will mainly be on a 11.5 DI in 5.56. Obviously I want it hearing safe, would like to have one under 8 inches with low block back and as light as I can get it. I'm cool with paying a 1k plus(the price is the least of my deciding factors). Was looking at the SilencerCo omega 36 as a more versatile one but really would rather have the best for a 5.56 and if it happens to fit multiple cals thats cool, and if not, I can always buy a 30 cal one and just have 2. Let me hear your recommendations.

I have a Surefire FA556-212 with 2 mounts I would sell reasonably cheap. Right around 100 rounds through it, FDE. Badass suppressor IMO but it IS an older model Surefire so the mounts are a little hard to find.

I'll be at the Tanger Outlet exit this coming Saturday at 10am if you want me to bring it and take a look at it.

I no longer own any AR's so I have no need for the suppressor anymore.

My experience with suppressors on 5.56 are pretty gassy and right on that line of uncomfortable shooting without earpro. Hell of a lot more pleasant than shooting SBRd AR platforms w/o a suppressor but if your going for "oh cool, check that out" levels of quiet, 5.56 suppressors aint it.

So is it worth the $$$ to suppress a 10.3" 5.56 SBR?

OR, should I only look for rimfire and pistol caliber cans?
What are your goals hearing safe and not having to wear ear protection? If that's what you want you're not going to get it from a 556 especially a 10.3 in SBR. You want to look tactical have a little bit more pleasant rifle to shoot than sure go for it.

I like my AAC 556 SD and would buy another the minute I found one……..come on PSA!!! That being said, I really want an 556 OSS can. Rugged makes fantastic pistol cans, but I’m not as impressed with my Surge 30 cal on a 556, even with the correct end cap. To me, the Dobbs ARC30 is much better at suppression, but is heavy AF and direct tread only.

Absolutely worth it! I think the difference of a suppressed 16" 556 and suppressed 10.5" 556 is smaller than you think without ear pro.

The environment plays a big factor too. We were shooting multiple 16" 556 suppressed rifles the other day trying to hear the difference. Where we were shooting, in a big field with a treeline 100 yards away in most directions, it was a little more than shooting a 10/22 rifle without ear pro, which I grew up shooting brick after brick without ears. Not smart but I didn't know the cumulative damage and I was a kid.

However, at my range it's not near as pleasant to shoot 556 suppressed without ear pro.

Point is 556 is definitely fun and excellent to suppress but no matter what you choose or do, the best bet is plan to wear hearing protection.

6 years ago when I got my first silencer, octane 45, for three months I went through a case of 9 a month. I could definitely tell that even shooting subsonic 9mm suppressed that even though it sounded fine I needed to wear hearing protection while shooting. It really is cumulative and adds up. I think the only cartridge you can consistently shoot suppressed without hearing protection is subsonic 22lr.

If you're going to get into the NFA game I vote 22lr can, 45 pistol can, and 308 can will cover most applications. Not stating anything new here just my experiences.

I also sell suppressors if you want a price check on anything.

it is worth it. IF you have 30 cal hosts...get a 30 cal can. 30 cal on 556 sounds ALMOST as good as a dedicated 556 can. a suppressor does more than quiet a 556 sbr, it makes it pleasent to shoot. and yeah, you should still wear ears...but in a HD situation...you aren't gonna be deef. Like Moondog1 Moondog1 said... 22cal rimfire can, .45/9mm can, .30 cal can. then a few more.

Back
Top Bottom