• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressing an M1A?

redtail

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have an M1a set up with their can? I am looking at a scout model and the reviews I have read are all hit or miss.

Is it something you can do at home?
do you need a different gas system or components and are you able to shoot with and without the can reliably?

In for answers.

I have a Springfield M1-A, full length barrel, standard military flash hider /front sight / bayonet lug assembly on the end of its barrel, which comes threaded from the factory by the way and could easily be fitted with an adapter for a centerfire suppressor (but then you would lose the front sight.)

At one time I priced a thread adapter unit for this gun and it was over $200 that cost plus the loss of my front side has given me pause about suppressing this rifle.

(And the fact that I'm not a handloader and I would probably never shoot sub sonic ammo through it anyway.)

Does anyone have an M1a set up with their can? I am looking at a scout model and the reviews I have read are all hit or miss.

Is it something you can do at home?
do you need a different gas system or components and are you able to shoot with and without the can reliably?
I did it several years ago. It was a gassy bitch. Only way I could comfortably shoot it was by turning the gas off and that lead to stuck action issues.

I went back to a bolt gun for suppressed 308.

I heard one with a fisher suppressor at a silencer shoot umpteen years ago. It was NOT quiet. Seemed like a lot of noise out of the action end that defeated any suppression.

I have a Socom16 and a Silencerco Omega. Had to remove the front sight assembly and install a Smith Enterprises gas block and thread adapter as well as a different front sight. Original gas plug replaced with a Schuster adjustable gas plug. Shooting subsonics, it is rather impressive(not Hollywood quiet, but quiet). The issue I have been experiencing is projectile 'keyholing' at 50yds. Haven't worked out the kinks yet.
Not sure if that helps or answers any of your questions regarding the Scout or not....

I have a Socom16 and a Silencerco Omega. Had to remove the front sight assembly and install a Smith Enterprises gas block and thread adapter as well as a different front sight. Original gas plug replaced with a Schuster adjustable gas plug. Shooting subsonics, it is rather impressive(not Hollywood quiet, but quiet). The issue I have been experiencing is projectile 'keyholing' at 50yds. Haven't worked out the kinks yet.
Not sure if that helps or answers any of your questions regarding the Scout or not....

Socom has a different front sight and gas system than standard or Scout however what I have read adjustable gas plug is a must

I have a video on my phone from a shoot a few years ago. Some guy was shooting Innovative Arms' M1A, full length barrel. It wasnt quiet as other semi's with the same can attached. But he did knock down the steel target though.

Back
Top Bottom