or somebody we know. or we might blame it on a "friend" and
it was actually ourselves lol. something we did that was stupid
and we did it anyways or not knowing at the time it was not the
best choice.
this is a good chance to just come clean and tell a good one on
ourselves that others can get a good laugh at. hopefully we can
now too. so who coming on up? who can give us something we
can laugh at and laugh with us?

Like the 8 lb largemouth I caught on Lanier and my son gets the dorsal fin in the pic? Or the 10+ Largemouth on West Point a friend knocked loose with the net? Or maybe the jet skier who got a Zara Spook up side the ski for trashing our fishing at a boat dock? Those things?

ok ta hell with it, i'll go first.
before i moved to Ga i lived in FL. i was use to Fl fishing and Fl gear.
i moved to within a half mile from the hooch. i didnt do much fishing
when i got here but started hearing of folks catching trout out of the hooch.
it wasnt long until i figured i would go give it a try. my life in Fl allowed me to go
4 or 5 times a week and i was getting to miss a wet hook.
in my first few outtings i didnt catch anything but knew there were fish in that
river cause i saw plenty of people catching them. ok they arent as big as i was use to
catching much bigger and as a matter of fact what i was seeing being caught
was about what i was use to using as bait but at this point a fish is a fish right.
well, i kept trying but outting after outting i got skunked, but witnessed many caught
just the same. i didnt go often but i didnt really give up either. so after a couple yrs
attempts i got sour about it. i was going maybe twice or 3 times every couple months
for about a hour or two. still nothing. it wasnt until a guy that i worked with that went fishing several
times a week and i got to talking. he told me to bring my gear to work and we would go on
our lunch break and maybe he could give me a few pointers. so i did. few days later we head out to the river
during our lunch break. he found my issues right away before i even made my first cast lol.
here i am using 15lb test fishing for trout in the damn hooch. roflmao. when the old mans eyes saw
my line test he busted a gut with a few choice words in laughter. i felt like a dip**** for a few minutes
but soon got over it and laughed myself. all this time, all my attempts, the whole problem was
my line size. well, ya dont know what ya dont know until you know, ya know? lol
that was roughly 27 yrs ago. i still laugh and still tell the story like it was yesterday.
i can only imagine what those trout thought when they saw me on the bank reeling in that rope
i was using as fishing line lol. i guess i saved a lot of lives in those beginings.

Like the 8 lb largemouth I caught on Lanier and my son gets the dorsal fin in the pic? Or the 10+ Largemouth on West Point a friend knocked loose with the net? Or maybe the jet skier who got a Zara Spook up side the ski for trashing our fishing at a boat dock? Those things?
yes any of those will do.
and yes if im in my kayak i will bomb a jet skier with a zara no problem if he wants to come side wave me for fun.

About 7 years ago I was trolling Lake Ontario for salmon on the last day of April. I normally fished alone, as I was retired with all my friends still working. I had just brought one to the boat and threw it in the cooler, and I went to wash my hands in the lake, and just then, for some reason I blacked out for a second, and went in the lake over the side. I immediately came to in the cold water, and with the boat on auto pilot, luckily I grabbed the tie down ring, and somehow I hoisted myself up, just about as fast as I went in. I stripped off my wet clothes and fished in my underwear until they somewhat dried. I lost my phone, but my wallet didn't get a chance to get wet I was out so fast. That afternoon the Coast Guard pulled me over for a safety check, and while I was good on everything, they gave me a ticket for not wearing a life jacket. May 1st was the cut off date for not having to wear a jacket, and they got me coming into port.

Not mine, my dad's. He was an avid fisherman, alone or with someone. He had sixteen foot aluminum john boat so he could put it in the back of his pickup and launch by himself and kept his little 5 ho Johnson in the bed. He'd launch his boat then attach the motor and away he would go. One day, he forgot to tighten the clamps to the transom, pushed away, cranked his little motor, then gunned it.(as munch as he could). The motor jumped the transom, dad still had the tiller in his hand, fought the motor, then dunked in the river to kill it. Paddled back, loaded up and came home. Never heard his curse so much I my life. Went out back where he could not see me and laughed my butt off.

I got 2 stories, about my Dad and uncle.

First one goes back a few years where me and my dad went to Lanier and camped for about a week. We brought our pontoon boat that had 2 livewells front and back. We chose the perfect time to camp because there was practically no one out on the lake the whole trip, barely even saw a boat.

About the 5th day in were fishing near the dam late morning getting ready to try for stripers and I hear him saying "shoo shoo". Now I know that shoo shoo means he's about to crap his pants as this is not a rare occurrence with him. I so say use the rear livewell as a toilet and I'll stay up front for awhile.

While he taking care of business, I noticed a boat slowing making it's way towards us, this dude literally pulls right up to us and starts asking about striper fishing, what was the best bait for them and having a full blown conversation with me and my dad while he's crapping in the livewell. Giving the nature of this conversation I HAD to say brown trout as many times as I could and was nearly in tears by the end of it.

Second story was when I was 8, fishing big river in Missouri with my dad and uncle.
We were fishing in a canoe, my dad was up front. I was in the middle and my uncle was in the back. Now my uncle is a large guy, probably 6'2 250+lbs I'm guessing. He gets sleepy and wants to take a nap so he props himself across the canoe with his legs over one side and his upper body over the other.

Some how he falls asleep while my dad's bass fishing a point and I'm tying on a lure. I say something to my dad and he turns to look at me and I watch his pole shoot straight out of his hands into the water. He mutters some words and just dives off the front of the canoe after it.

While I'm watching him, I hear this sound coming from behind me so I turn to see my uncle rolling like well... a rolling pin. He probably made 3 full rotations till he rolled off the back of the canoe into the water. So here I am, 8 year old me sitting now alone in a canoe looking front and back trying to process what just happened. My dad pops up first with pole in hand and asks "where's Joe"?

Good times..

Getting your bait hung in a fallen tree and pulling as hard as you can to either free the bait or break the line. Well the bait comes free and makes a bee line for your head or GOD forbid your nuts.

Back
Top Bottom