• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stuffed bell peppers

0DD94920-D8EC-470C-A365-8111D9AB65FD.jpeg
Billy’s is gone now, sadly. It was my neighborhood bbq growing up.

They used to serve the banana pepper skins sliced longways, like potato wedges, fried in a sweet batter. They tasted sweet and hot and were great with beer.

The batter was similar to a sweet onion ring batter.

They looked like the photo above, but were served in a plastic basket.

Billy’s is gone now, sadly. It was my neighborhood bbq growing up.

They used to serve the banana pepper skins sliced longways, like potato wedges, fried in a sweet batter. They tasted sweet and hot and were great with beer.

Dang. Hate to hear they closed.

Thanks for the info though! They sound awesome...got my wheels spinning, I'm going to see what I can come up with when I have a little time!

Dang. Hate to hear they closed.

Thanks for the info though! They sound awesome...got my wheels spinning, I'm going to see what I can come up with when I have a little time!

I'm thinking something along the lines of honey corndog batter...and do both banana peppers and some more jalapeños...

I recommend something closer to an onion-ring type batter. Corn dog batter would be too thick and bready, in my estimation.

And jalapeños would be too hot for me.

So I haven't forgotten about this post...I've been intrigued...

Are they whole or fried rings? Looks like the place you mentioned does seasoned fried rings with cocktail sauce?

I fry turkeys at Thanksgiving. Figured since I've got hot grease, may as well do some fried pickles.:hungry:
They turned out fantastic! :thumb::thumb: Then went somewhere and had fried banana pepper rings that slayed the pickles.
Been frying the pepper rings each Thanksgiving since then. I've used the chipotle ranch dressing as a dipping sauce. Will have to try the cocktail sauce.

I fry turkeys at Thanksgiving. Figured since I've got hot grease, may as well do some fried pickles.:hungry:
They turned out fantastic! :thumb::thumb: Then went somewhere and had fried banana pepper rings that slayed the pickles.
Been frying the pepper rings each Thanksgiving since then. I've used the chipotle ranch dressing as a dipping sauce. Will have to try the cocktail sauce.

That sounds good too!!!

View attachment 1747455 Billy’s is gone now, sadly. It was my neighborhood bbq growing up.

The batter was similar to a sweet onion ring batter.

They looked like the photo above, but were served in a plastic basket.

Bumping this back up...been wanting to try these battered and fried peppers...

I've been staying away from the hot stuff a little bit since my surgery, so I bought some yellow bell peppers. I cut them into triangle shaped wedges and battered them with Larry's fish batter. O.M.G. I can't tell you how good these were. I mean just absolutely delicious. The batter has enough saltiness for me and the peppers are sweet. Great combo. I ate them plain bc they were that good!

Later on I'm gonna try a few different peppers and see if i can find a balance of heat I like, maybe some poblano peppers or Hungarian wax peppers...

20181007_111130.jpg
20181007_111146.jpg

Back
Top Bottom