• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stuffed bell peppers

View attachment 1745506
Speaking of okra, anyone like pickled okra? I love it. A friend of my wife's gave her about 5 lbs and I made these. They are crunchy, not slimy and delicious.

Pickled okra is awesome when it's made right...crunchy and not slimy, just like you said. I know a guy whose brother grows okra and pickles it. It's the best I've ever had. He won't give me any, won't sell me any, and won't give me the recipe. Grrr.

I buy fresh okra at the local grocery store and I pickle my own from time to time. It's pretty good. The best value I found is the 5lb jar at Wal-Mart for like $6. I'll add garlic and red pepper flakes and whole peppercorns to it and it does affect the flavor even after one night in the fridge. I've been buying hot pickles also. That's a whole 'nother addiction...

You got me thinking. You know who has the best fried okra? Church's Chicken. Hands down.
I like Captain D's and Ole Times on Russell Parkway. We got one down here but I still haven't been there. As a general rule I try to keep my Cracker looking ass out of Church's.

View attachment 1745506
Speaking of okra, anyone like pickled okra? I love it. A friend of my wife's gave her about 5 lbs and I made these. They are crunchy, not slimy and delicious.
Frances a neighbor of mine passed away this year..She canned a lot, but her pickled okra was the bomb. She used the young okra and lots of whole garlic, bother were great and I miss her and that. I always took it to camp, the vinegar in it kept the chiggers off me, if I ate it the night before..

Frances a neighbor of mine passed away this year..She canned a lot, but her pickled okra was the bomb. She used the young okra and lots of whole garlic, bother were great and I miss her and that. I always took it to camp, the vinegar in it kept the chiggers off me, if I ate it the night before..

This batch was ok. I tried a different recipe using apple cider vinegar and a good bit of sugar. It is a little too sweet for me. It also called for a lemon slice and I found I really don't care for that.

Man. I had some leftover ground beef with the chopped bell pepper, corn and onions. What to do with it? I also had some leftover red beans and rice. So I combined the 2 containers. It was meh...

Until I added a can of tomatoes, okra, and corn. I left the liquid in there to make it wet, kind of a thick stew like consistency. I should have taken pics. It was delicious!!!

I buy these cans all the time. Love this stuff.

20180818_121020.jpg

Those look great.

Btw the best cooked peppers I’ve ever eaten are fried banana peppers at Billy’s BBQ in Lexington, Kentucky.

So I haven't forgotten about this post...I've been intrigued...

Are they whole or fried rings? Looks like the place you mentioned does seasoned fried rings with cocktail sauce?

Back
Top Bottom