• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Storage

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
Would it be ok to store primers and powder in this metal cabinet inside an attached garage?

Attachments

• BAA0B45A-8589-40CC-B526-BF9FA411509B.jpeg
    BAA0B45A-8589-40CC-B526-BF9FA411509B.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 11
Would it be ok to store primers and powder in this metal cabinet inside an attached garage?
Needs to be climate controlled. My Dad used to store all his powder & primers in his garage (attached). Several pounds of powder went bad over 7 years. I assume because temps would spike in the summer with the door open. Prior to that, we stored powder & primers for 30+ years inside our old home and never had a single issue.

Earlier this year I got some W296 from an estate sale which had been stored in garage for almost 30 years. The date on the bottom of the container is 92. The lid was rusty but when I opened it the powder smelled normal. I loaded 100 x 410 bore rounds. All 100 rounds functioned properly.

Powder should be fine in tightly closed plastic or metal containers, high humidity notwithstanding. Primers should be stored in air tight containers with desiccant if exposed to rapid temp/humidity changes.

I have an uninsulated building out back that is my "reloading building". While I do keep all my powder in the house where it is climate controlled, the primers are stored in either metal or plastic "ammo cans" in that building and have been for many years. I have never had a problem with any of the primers.

I would venture to say that your primers would be perfectly OK stored in that metal cabinet in your garage. I would not store the powder there, though.

Back
Top Bottom