• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stolen Winchester Model 70 Van Orden Sniper in Cumming

wbs2112

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
51   0
Reaction score
Rifle belonged to a good friend. Was stolen the afternoon he was moved to Hospice. The rifle was in the living room when the family left was gone when they returned. Friend has since passed and trying to help the family. A police report has been filed with the Cumming Police Department and the rifle entered into NCIC.

Very distinctive rifle.
Winchester Model 70 in 30-06, heavy / target barrel in a sporter checkered stock mounted with a Unertl target scope and target sights,

Serial number 220285

Any help would be appreciated. Contact the Cumming PD or PM if you have any information.

Any reason to suspect a family member?

My great great aunt had a rifle that she won in a bet with Annie Oakley. she had outshot Annie Oakley in a county fair and Oakley gave her the rifle she was using as a prize. My dad was promised the rifle by her and when she passed, after the funeral, my dad went to get the rifle and it was already gone. My dad was certain that her son, who had little to do with the family had gone and gotten the rifle while everyone was at the funeral.

If all that is gone from the house is the rifle, I'd look at immediate family with access first.

It is a very common situation for relatives to loot the house of the recently deceased elderly person and steal everything of value and they justify it by saying "well, I'm a blood relative, so I would've gotten this or that through his will anyway."

But in the eyes of the law it's still theft, up until the probate court has issued letters of authority to the executor to transfer possession of the property. (In accordance with that person's will or the laws of intestate succession for those people who die without wills).

Sorry for the loss. Definitely an inside job.
First I'm sorry for your loss I'd like to tell you that My father had willed me his coin collection after his funeral I stop by my sister's house that he had bought for them for him to live in until he passed away. They both knew that I had been willed the coin collection and when I got there they had a safe open and we're going through the coins on the kitchen table they'd stacked out. Rare ones and we're putting back the pennies. My niece and nephew who are children at the time had to let me in or I'm sure I'd never seen what was going on. I told him very straight to put it all back in the safe and it was going with me and if you had any arguments we could get somebody with a car and a blue light to straighten this out. Haven't spoken to her in almost 20 years. The kids are grown and we still correspond I'm proud of all of them when's the EMT when's the school teacher and one is studying film. Strange how greed jumps a generation.

First I'm sorry for your loss I'd like to tell you that My father had willed me his coin collection after his funeral I stop by my sister's house that he had bought for them for him to live in until he passed away. They both knew that I had been willed the coin collection and when I got there they had a safe open and we're going through the coins on the kitchen table they'd stacked out. Rare ones and we're putting back the pennies. My niece and nephew who are children at the time had to let me in or I'm sure I'd never seen what was going on. I told him very straight to put it all back in the safe and it was going with me and if you had any arguments we could get somebody with a car and a blue light to straighten this out. Haven't spoken to her in almost 20 years. The kids are grown and we still correspond I'm proud of all of them when's the EMT when's the school teacher and one is studying film. Strange how greed jumps a generation.
It is. And funny at that; good ole sis is willing to burn family over what is basically a handful of cash she would have gotten from pawning those coins. Sad, sad.

Back
Top Bottom