• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stolen gun from Georgia used to shoot NY cops.

I love how we're all blaming people for keeping guns in a legal extension of their homes (their vehicles) rather than the scum who break into those home-extensions to steal.

I agree that keeping a gun in plain sight in a vehicle is probably a bad idea, but so is leaving your phone out on your car. Take reasonable precautions when you have to park and you are probably fine. What those are depend on a lot of things but there are also a lot of options.

It does seem though that if you own a pickup you have to take more precautions than a car owner, and typically have fewer options. Pickup designers haven't really given folks a lot of interior storage options, in most cases just a console and a glove box.

Some SUVs and pickups do it right though, and it would always be a good idea to take advantage of those options, but please let's stop blaming the crime victim unless they did something really dumb like put a Glock or Assault Life sticker on their back window.

I love how we're all blaming people for keeping guns in a legal extension of their homes (their vehicles) rather than the scum who break into those home-extensions to steal.

I agree that keeping a gun in plain sight in a vehicle is probably a bad idea, but so is leaving your phone out on your car. Take reasonable precautions when you have to park and you are probably fine. What those are depend on a lot of things but there are also a lot of options.

It does seem though that if you own a pickup you have to take more precautions than a car owner, and typically have fewer options. Pickup designers haven't really given folks a lot of interior storage options, in most cases just a console and a glove box.

Some SUVs and pickups do it right though, and it would always be a good idea to take advantage of those options, but please let's stop blaming the crime victim unless they did something really dumb like put a Glock or Assault Life sticker on their back window.
Right, that's like saying we shouldn't worry about locking our doors or leaving expensive stuff out and it's not our fault if someone stole my kid's bike that was left in the front yard, it's part of our home after all...

The simple fact is, every police agency in the state recommends to NOT live your valuables in your vehicles. My Sheriff's Office tosses up a post at least once a week where someone left their gat in their car and it got stolen. It happens. Criminals specifically target parked, unattended vehicles. Trying to pretend that the victim holds no responsibility for leaving a gun unsecured and out of their control is just disingenuous. If a person isn't responsible enough to keep their firearm in their control, then perhaps they should rethink owning one.

Let's not play the game of it being in the home either. The statistics don't support crooks breaking into homes, especially occupied homes as a viable argument.

Be a responsible adult and don't leave your guns out in your vehicles.

my point is that most guns stolen from cars,are in there because you cant take it into work,or you are respecting a sign. i dont like to go anywhere my gun is not allowed.
if we could just kill criminals caught in the act,the world would be a better place. after all,if someone steals your wallet,they have your home address. thats a threat to your life....put them in the ground.....

Have they determined that the guns were stolen from an unlocked car or from one of the many gun stores that have been looted?

When posting the about the story, I remarked about the abundant of stolen guns from parked cars here in Georgia. It could have been acquired any number of ways but to me it seems from a vehicle is the most prevalent method of stolen firearms.

The vast majority of criminals take the easiest option when stealing. They would rather sweep neighborhood driveways looking for absent minded peoples vehicles that weren't locked. It's those where firearms are stolen, in the dead of night. Shouldn't be any reason why a gun carrier can't take it indoors with them when they arrive home. It's not an accessory for a vehicle, & unlike a phone a firearm can be used to commit more heinous crime.

So what equals secure? In my house? In a safe? Where is the line that the victim of a crime becomes at fault?

I've never had a gun stolen and I don't leave guns unsecured anywhere ever. I asked a question bitch and you went to calling me names. Check yourself ****face.

The point people are trying to make, is that leaving gun's unattended & unsecured in a vehicle overnight is causing further crimes that can cause life to be taken in a more serious crime. No one here is advocating for law's or fault against the victim, just that people should be aware that it's not a safe place to store a gun.

Right, that's like saying we shouldn't worry about locking our doors or leaving expensive stuff out and it's not our fault if someone stole my kid's bike that was left in the front yard, it's part of our home after all...

The simple fact is, every police agency in the state recommends to NOT live your valuables in your vehicles. My Sheriff's Office tosses up a post at least once a week where someone left their gat in their car and it got stolen. It happens. Criminals specifically target parked, unattended vehicles. Trying to pretend that the victim holds no responsibility for leaving a gun unsecured and out of their control is just disingenuous. If a person isn't responsible enough to keep their firearm in their control, then perhaps they should rethink owning one.

Let's not play the game of it being in the home either. The statistics don't support crooks breaking into homes, especially occupied homes as a viable argument.

Be a responsible adult and don't leave your guns out in your vehicles.
Its not your fault if you leave a bike in your front yard and someone steals it, its the criminals fault. Can people do something to help prevent the criminal (who is actually at fault) from stealing it...sure...but it is still the criminals fault.

When posting the about the story, I remarked about the abundant of stolen guns from parked cars here in Georgia. It could have been acquired any number of ways but to me it seems from a vehicle is the most prevalent method of stolen firearms.

The vast majority of criminals take the easiest option when stealing. They would rather sweep neighborhood driveways looking for absent minded peoples vehicles that weren't locked. It's those where firearms are stolen, in the dead of night. Shouldn't be any reason why a gun carrier can't take it indoors with them when they arrive home. It's not an accessory for a vehicle, & unlike a phone a firearm can be used to commit more heinous crime.

The point people are trying to make, is that leaving gun's unattended & unsecured in a vehicle overnight is causing further crimes that can cause life to be taken in a more serious crime. No one here is advocating for law's or fault against the victim, just that people should be aware that it's not a safe place to store a gun.

I don't disagree but every situation is different. Can I leave my gun in a car when I'm going to the courthouse or do I not carry that day. Where I live my gun is just as secure in my truck in my driveway as it would be in my house. Do you think that if people stop leaving guns in cars then criminals won't get guns? Food for thought.

The point people are trying to make, is that leaving gun's unattended & unsecured in a vehicle overnight is causing further crimes that can cause life to be taken in a more serious crime.
The gun is not causing further crime, the person behind the gun is causing further crime. If one prescribes to the argument against gun control that the gun is an inanimate object and that controlling inanimate objects will do nothing to prevent firearm crime....Then one also has to prescribe to the argument that no matter how one obtains a firearm, it is the individual human behind the trigger that is to blame and the actual firearm has nothing to do with it.

Its really not an either or argument, an inanimate object is an inanimate object, no matter the nuance of the circumstance. Is leaving an unsecured firearm in a vehicle a bad idea, sure....is the person that had their vehicle broken into and firearm stolen responsible...no.

Back
Top Bottom