• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stock market for beginners

Find a financial advisor that has an open and solid background. Interview multiple, choose one you feel comfortable with and let them do the hard work.

Clark Howard, Wes Moss. Just put your money into a target date retirement fund.

If you are 40, and will retire in 25 years at age 65, then you want a 2045 fund. Vanguard, Fidelity and most large reputable firms have them. Its a no-brainer.

Wife and I have money in both firms. Very low expense ratios and commissions means more of your money at work for you. Financial advisors usually want about 1% of your money per year to "help" you. Add that up for 30-40 years.

Find yourself a blue chip company that pays a decent dividend with a reinvestment plan. Buy 1 share thru a broker so you don't have to pay a big commission (unless the co. will let you buy thru them) and buy more thru their plan, buying more stock as you go and reinvesting your dividends also. A solid company with a decent dividend that comes to mind at the moment is Southern Company. Their price has been going up and now it is a little high but they do pay well. Anything with this economy now is priced pretty high though. You just have to find one you like that will give you a good return.

A lot will depend on your age snd how much risk you willing to take. I started with a company matched 401k and went for growth. Its had its bumps but has done well. New job and company matched IRA and same strategy. Its done well. Then inherited some stocks from my dad and they mostly pay good dividends. And have seen a lot of growth in value in two years. Southern Co is a good bet. I have a good bit in that. My boys also inherited SoCo and theirs is up about 30% in two years. My sisters kids cashed theirs out as soon as they got it.

Back
Top Bottom